10.3 Update - BazzV5's Pure Totem Templar with CI

10.3 Update
Nice update for CI users. Added just over 1K additional ES to my build

I've had a few people ask recently about my current Templar build so I've decided to share the basics here in the forum.

Why a Templar with CI you ask?
Well there's a number of reasons but first and foremost was a recent forum discussion on the usability and effectiveness of Arm/ES as an armour type,(the default for Templar's). The
argument was that Arm/ES was the weakest armour type and begged the question, has anyone "really" tested Arm/ES to a reasonably high level in combination with CI?

Well I thought I'd put it to the test and as a point of difference, I also added a self-imposed restriction of not borrowing any existing items from shared Stash in order to test the build as a candidate for a primary char in Open Beta.

Well after 6 days of play and 19 days since character creation, I feel it's now close enough to completion to make a fair assessment of both CI with Arm/ES and Dual Totem's as a primary
attack skill.

The Numbers:
Name:BazzVone
Level: 83
Intelligence: 420
Strength:133
Dexterity:114

Def:
Energy Shield: 5.6K
Armour: 2632
Life:1
Mana:701
Evasion:526
Resists: F/C/R 83%/67%/83%
Blocking: 24%

Primary Attack - Spork Totems
DPS:929
Crit Chance:33.5%
Crit Multi: 540%
Shock Duration Increase: 45%
Additional Chance to Shock: 25%

Secondary Attack - Ice Spear Totems
DPS:535
Crit Chance:39.1%
Crit Multi: 540%
Chill Duration Increase: 74%

Magic Find
IIQ 31%
IIR 217%

In terms of defence I think the numbers stack up pretty well. The #1 Witch on Default recently that said that you don't need more than 7K ES to be effective. Well I'm not gonna argue that number as it's likely correct for a witch but I will say that when you play as a Totemancer and then add 2500+ Armour, 34% Blocking and close to 80% resist-all, that number is a lot lower than 7K. This char is a tank and with the added bonus of 100% immunity to Chaos damage from the CI node it's just the cream on top of the cake.
I set out in the beginning aiming for 6.5K ES and 2.5K armour, (as that's about the highest amount of HP+ES I've managed on my life build marauders), and managed to surpass it without any great investment in equipment but I'll get to that a bit soon.

Offensively this build uses dual totems as the only source of damage. Spork Totems are the primary attack as they have a reasonably good killing speed but having said that they are also somewhat behind say a well geared melee char when it comes to clearing maps. This I see as a fair trade off when using a play style that is much, much safer than getting face to face with the enemy. Spork Totems are efficient against the majority of mob types as well as slow moving bosses, (ie. most of them), but they do tend to struggle greatly against ranged elemental mobs.

Secondary attack is the old trusty Ice Spear totem. Used in combination with Temporal Chains, Ice Spear totems will turn all mobs on the screen to ice blocks. Killing speed is a
little slower than using the primary attack but is a perfect foil for the ranged elemental mobs than Spork struggles against.

Equipment

Скрытый текст

The thing I like a lot about this build is that it's much less item dependant than chars I've played in the past. With no 5L or 6L requirement it's much easier to keep this character progressing. The items I'm currently wearing would only consider as being good or maybe even very good but definately not top end except possibly the chest. Even so, you can see the item level on the chest is level 70 so up until reaching that clvl I was using one with much lower rolls to both Armour and ES. Chest, helm and boots were chosen for their high ES rolls and the gloves, (Maligaros), well only because I really like them. They are definately not a required item but they do add a nice little bump to DPS.

Jewellery and belts are primarily selected to maintain the high level of elemental resists as well as adding a small amount of IIQ/IIR. Ideally the jewllery pieces would all have some mana regen as well but I wasn't lucky enough in play through to find anything that fit the bill.

Auras and mana reservation
Only two skills that reserve mana are being used with the first being Disciple. This aura provides a very nice boost to ES so is a no-brainer especially so if your ES is still a little low once having taken CI. The second skill with a mana reservation is Tempest Shield. I'm not sure how I feel about this skill so it's definately optional. It does add 4% blocking and once levelled does enough damage to kill white mobs but could easily get by without it.
Both skills are supported by the Reduced Mana gem and my mana pool is left with around 400 mana once both skills have been activated.

Skill Tree
Скрытый текст
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBAcFWwx9DkgPxBB_EZYTnhXXHRQfAiThJ-0pTyynLL8tHzLRNsU62Dt8O-FDY0VHRtdMs03YVmNY9VnzWitapl3GXfJgbWZPZp5nvW0ZcFJw1XFNcql2EX4zfll-r3_GgUmCm4auiEKLjIw2jHaOZI9Gms-boZ2jncSiLqKjo_KkkacIpyusqrI4tQS2-rcxuJO4ysAawcXB88Ntxp7Q0NeG2CTa3dzH3fPhc-L35CLsGOw47SDub_Id8933Mvem-tL7Rfyr

One of the goals for all my chars is to reach max resists, or at least get as close as possible, in order to free choices with jewellery and belt. Yes you can get max resists from items worn but it makes it all the more difficult to find suitable jewellery when looking to maintain max resists while stacking up on IIQ/IIR.

Other than that the tree has a substantial investment in ES, Crit and Crit Multi.

Stacking Crit chance and crit multi nodes, alongside Static Blows and Shock, means lots and lots of shock stacks. This is what makes the Spork totems so effective at killing with their relaitvely low DPS and it also completely negates the need for a caster skill. I do have Arc linked to Faster Casting available but it's never used and is never needed.

Gem Chains

Spork Totem: Spell Totem linked to Spark, Fork and Faster Casting and Item Rarity
Ice Spear Totem: Spell Totem linked to Ice Spear, Elemental Proliferation and Lesser Multiple Projectiles
Curses & Auras: Conductivity, Purity, Discipline linked to Reduced Mana

Flasks

Play style
Pretty straight forward for most mobs. Cast two Spork totems and curse with Conductivity, (or substitute with Elemental Weakness if in a party), and stand near the totems as thats the safest place on the screen. Doesn't get much lazier than this. :)

Pro's/Con's
Pro's: Reasonably good killing Speed, medium equipment investment, safe play style, strong end game solo play
Con's: Can struggle against ranged elemental mobs, not the best choice for party players, slow starter with Spell Totem not available until clvl31 and requires many level ups to gain decent kill speed and survivability, Not viable for HC as it's a hard slog in the early parts.

Final note and disclaimer:
I stated near the beginning that my goal was not to use any equipment from current stash in order to test feasibility for Open Beta. I did that only to level 60 at which time I took the Maligaros from Stash. Lvl60 was reached 3 days after player creation with a total of 8 deaths.

Change Log:
13/03/2013
Updated passive tree
Added IIQ/IIR numbers
Updated Total amount of ES

26/02/2013
Did a very quick update of the guide for those who PM'ed but it needs a thorough clean up.
Most of the text was written for closed beta and will be out of context for open beta.
Updated skill tree
Updated items worn
Updated flasks
Updated "The Numbers"
OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara
Последняя редакция: BazzV5. Время: 12 марта 2013 г., 23:17:47
Definitely a solid all around build. I really struggle with templars who go CI, because it seems like such a far distance to travel and so many points in between.

I have tried out similar builds as life and you really don't get the survivability out of life builds that CI brings to the table, so it makes sense to do it. I am running a similar build on my summoner right now, except my zombies tank for my totems rather than me, so it still lets me build into iiq/iir.

The follow-up question you have to ask now: Is the mitigation on your armor superior to that of the ES you could gain from straight ES gear?

On my CI witch I felt like running 2 granites and 3 diamonds made me next to invincible because I would always have a granite to pop in a time of need, so that really took care of my armor needs.

I think with the arrival of OB and shortly after we will see some changes to double totems/CI, that may highly effect your build, as well as many others I am sure. Looks very solid though!

This is probably one of the exact builds I have been looking for. The only issue I have is when for leveling the passives, which way do we go first? Is there just a certain spec for leveling up, or do we just go in which ever direction to reach these goals? If I ever write a guide I know for a fact, I will have areas to level, which passive nodes to pick up at what level, and what not. This reason being, for people who have just returned, or are starting in the open beta. ALSO BY NO WAY AM I BASHING THIS GUIDE, or any other persons work. I just need to figure out which way to go in the passive skills than I should be fine.
"
Neflak написал:
I think with the arrival of OB and shortly after we will see some changes to double totems/CI, that may highly effect your build, as well as many others I am sure. Looks very solid though!

Thanks man.

I think you're right that we can expect upcoming changes for both Spell Totem and CI but we still have another month or so to mess around with builds like this in CB. CI has too many advantages when compared to life builds and Spell Totem is generally considered to be too powerful in it's current form, (especially when being used as a supplement to some already strong builds).

Anyway I'll just have to wait and see what changes occur with OB before making a final decision on which build to run with first, but at the moment this one is still in the running.

Последняя редакция: BazzV5. Время: 20 дек. 2012 г., 1:29:03
"
Moeses написал:
This is probably one of the exact builds I have been looking for. The only issue I have is when for leveling the passives, which way do we go first? Is there just a certain spec for leveling up, or do we just go in which ever direction to reach these goals? If I ever write a guide I know for a fact, I will have areas to level, which passive nodes to pick up at what level, and what not. This reason being, for people who have just returned, or are starting in the open beta. ALSO BY NO WAY AM I BASHING THIS GUIDE, or any other persons work. I just need to figure out which way to go in the passive skills than I should be fine.

Hi Moeses.

I can see where you're coming from and this "guide?" does reflect end game status rather than how to get there but thats mostly because I'm just a lazy writer with a bad memory. :)

Getting to the end point of any build, (populating the skill tree), is usually somewhat flexible and decisions can be made based on current progress speed and an assessment of current items worn.

When playing a new char I try to stay 1-4 levels ahead of the content meaning that, if for example, I'm at clvl 45 then I want to be currently leveling in an area around 46-49. If you feel you're taking too much damage too quickly or you're not clearing areas fast enough, (due to lack of DPS), then either look for upgrades to your items OR use your next few skill points to try and get improvements that way.

Some of the milestones I set for myself, (as best as I remember), may or may not work for you but feel free to try and replicate of you like.

Dual Totems node
Took this mode at lvl30 or lvl31, (preparation for Spell Totem gem). I'd do the same again as I feel it's important to have the totems setup as soon as they are available if only just to get the gems leveling up in preparation for mid-game.

Body and Soul nodes
Populated all the points near the Templar start area, (including the lower Body & Soul node), before heading towards the Dual Totems node. The second Body and Soul node was the target straight after getting Dual Totems up and running.

Bloodthirst and Static Blows
Took Bloodthirst on the Templar side of the tree before making my way up to Static Blows. This was done straight after finishing with Body and Soul. Bloodthirst on the Ranger side of the tree was one of the very last nodes taken.

Chaos Inoculation node
This was my first CI char and I wasn't sure if stuns and elemental ailments would be an issue so I populated the tree one point short of CI. Prior to taking CI I had around 800HP and 1700ES which was fine for most mobs though the ones that dealt chaos damage would quickly drain the relatively small HP pool. A couple of quick deaths to chaos damage forced me to finally take CI at clvl64. I'd take this much earlier if doing it again, (low 50's maybe?).

Unnatural Calm and Arcane Focus
I took these before taking CI to make make sure I'd have enough ES at that point however they also help prior to taking CI.

Diamond Skin and Elemental Adapation
Took these towards the end of the build after getting all the crit and crit multi nodes. Only really needed to free up resists from items worn and allow the use of jewellery with IIQ/IIR

Hope that helps
Nice build Bazz, and thoroughly explained! Definitely a in-depth dual totem templar build.
IGN: Rampagerabid
i try to lvl your build on hc now ;) i give them some advices and information how it works.

i think a skill like dat to lvl 30

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsabB0UKU8spzrYRtdN2FnzWitdxmaecU2Cm4uMjHaPRprPna6j8qcItQTAGtrd4XPkIuw47SD60g==
Последняя редакция: Puep. Время: 21 дек. 2012 г., 9:13:49
"
Theoixio написал:
Nice build Bazz, and thoroughly explained! Definitely a in-depth dual totem templar build.

Agreed. Definitely a sweet build.
IGN: Dawn_Keebals
"
Puep написал:
i try to lvl your build on hc now ;) i give them some advices and information how it works.

i think a skill like dat to lvl 30

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVsabB0UKU8spzrYRtdN2FnzWitdxmaecU2Cm4uMjHaPRprPna6j8qcItQTAGtrd4XPkIuw47SD60g==

Thats looks good.

Only choice you'd need to make at this point would be to keep going for the 2nd Body & Soul node, (and it's 10% resist), or aim for the 1st Bloodthirst node, or go for Static Blows.
Any of those nodes would be helpful for the next stage of the build and you could best make your choice based on current items worn and progress speed.

I found it a tough slog for the first 30 levels but it gets easier after that. I reckon you'd have to be extra careful in HC but let me know how you go.

The upcoming 1 week HC race looks a good opportunity to re-test the build as well and I'll post an update at the end of it.
Hey, this build looks like tons of fun and I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Just curious as to what kind of playstyle you used from 1-30 before you got Spell Totem?

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация