Storm Call should make shocking ground (because graphically it looks too sci-fi)

I already have a thread about how Piety's Fire/Ice transformation ovals look far too sci-fi, like Starcraft beacons. (Of course, I put it in the correct forum, so it gets precious little love.)

And then, shortly thereafter, I see a preview video for 1.02 which features a new skill and... even more Starcraft beacons!

Fuck my life.

So how about this: instead of the tacky-looking markers, have Storm Call create actual shocking ground, the same type used by Dominus and used on the Shocking Ledge area in Descent: Champions. Then, when the duration expires, all the shocking ground gets zapped, and then disappears. Not only do we get rid of the immersion-breaking graphics, but we also get some really cool utility with the skill: the ability to apply a single Shock stack pretty much at will (because it's shocking ground, it doesn't get multiple Shock stacks, so it's not super OP or anything).

Does the shocking ground disappear just before, or just after damage? Could go either way. Irrelevant as far as this suggestion is concerned. Just make sure it's clear which way it goes in the skill description.

Oh, and how about making Storm Herald — the Nemesis mod — use this skill instead of the Piety lightning storm? It's much more strategic.

Oh, and let's do something with the Piety graphics already, for fuck's sake.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Последняя редакция: ScrotieMcB. Время: 25 нояб. 2013 г., 3:28:50
Эта тема была автоматически архивирована. Ответы невозможны.
Disagree.

Source: My opinion.

More seriously
Doesn't look sci-fi at all to me. Divine rune circles have been a staple in medieval fantasy for years. See also, Archimonde's destruction of Dalaran, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Nitpicks
It's Storm Herald, not Storm Caller. If you did that on purpose: Shame on you for trying to mislead people! If you didn't do that on purpose: yeah, it's a bit of a nitpicky distinction, but the naming difference might be one reason why GGG wants the skill to be different from Piety's. Also, Piety's lightning storm is iconic. I would not support changing the Nemesis mod. Facing Storm Heralds is a blast because it's the same one that Piety makes me panic at, spammed multiple times faster. Gets the blood rushing. Storm Calling Storm Heralds wouldn't be nearly as cool.

Anyways, somehow I doubt GGG would heed your feedback. Storm Call already has a pretty distinct identity, and a shocked ground effect would be a little bit too much "pollution" so to speak. Not the best word to use, but I can't think of a better one right now. To try to illustrate my point, Fire Trap and Ice Shot would both be fairly bland without burning or chilled ground. Knowing GGG, they'll probably implement shocked ground on a different skill (if they even ever add a shocked ground skill for players).
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Последняя редакция: adghar. Время: 25 нояб. 2013 г., 3:23:21
@adghar: Edited the OP to correct the mistake in the Nemesis mod name. Disagree with everything else in your post; in particular, I can't think of a more seamless way to make a shocked ground skill for players than by integrating it into Storm Call.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I dont really see the sci fi part about it. It has a rune circle kind of like a target out of a sci fi game. If you have a better suggestion do tell.. Or even better show. From what iv seen from feedback people are loving the look?
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
How can you complain about something so cool?...
"
Russell написал:
I dont really see the sci fi part about it. It has a rune circle kind of like a target out of a sci fi game. If you have a better suggestion do tell.. Or even better show. From what iv seen from feedback people are loving the look?
Regarding Piety's fire/ice "rune circles," the main problem I have with them is that the fire "rune circle" doesn't look like it's made of fire, it looks like it's made of red; the ice "rune circle" doesn't look like it's made of cold, it looks like it's made of blue.

Really, it's the same deal with Storm Call's "rune circles:" they don't look like they're made of electricity, they look like they're made of blue.

This is the core of my criticism: being an elementalist means summoning the elements, not summoning colours, nor summoning neon lights. It makes it feel like the path to arcane mastery is a set of acrylic paints and a paint-by-number book.

The difference between the two situations is that Piety's "rune circles" are supposed to be destroyable objects; from what I can tell, Storm Call's are invulnerable. Thus, using shocked ground makes perfect sense with Storm Call. Shocked ground is clearly made of electricity, and its invulnerable; this is something which is aesthetical woven into the very look of shocked ground. If possible, shocked ground should be used directly for the skill, since it already does a great job with the correct appearance; if not, then some kind of marker which somehow matches the aesthetics of shocked ground, while being distinct enough for players to know that it isn't shocked ground.

Regarding Piety's destroyable objects, obviously burning ground won't work (sends message of "not destroyable"), nor chilled ground (same problem). But it should have a similar feel, sending a message of "this is some kind of font of magical fire energy which you can target" or "this is some kind of magical cold energy which you can target." Not "red energy" and "blue energy."

Strictly speaking, I'm not anti-rune. Runic symbols are cool with me; however, they should be made out of the very elements which they are representing, if they are made at all. There's a difference between runes made out of electricity, and runes which are merely blue.
Последняя редакция: ScrotieMcB. Время: 25 нояб. 2013 г., 4:25:54
"
Novalisk написал:
How can you complain about something so cool?...
I really, really like the mechanics of Storm Call. It's the graphics of the markers, and only the graphics of the markers, which bugs me. The shocked ground suggestion arises out of how I believe the markers should look, rather than out of any mechanical issue with the skill's current design. Why design a new look for lightning markers when shocked ground already has the perfect look?
Последняя редакция: ScrotieMcB. Время: 25 нояб. 2013 г., 4:29:54
Can kinda see where Scrotie's coming from.

Doesn't personally bother me too much but the circles ( both from Piety as from Storm Call ) just seem too smooth. More like holograms than rune circles.

When I think of rune circles I think of things that just slightly make your skin crawl just looking at them. Things that that make you go 'well that can't do anything good...' instead of what the current circles make you go, 'Oooh! Pretty!'.

They could be a lot more menacing. From all I've seen in Wraeclast magic doesn't lead to pretty perfectly round and symmetrical circles. It leads to fucked up shit.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
Damn it Russel we want cut scenes!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8ur8pSmxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3515f855BjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r_FTMvkxbU&list=PL7038D52E8E0B1374
:D

Actually throwing like a staff object where lightning will strike into, could work in PoE, I feel a micro transaction incoming.

I also want a MT that hovers small random ben franklin kites, which channel lightning down ;) Or perhaps the target areas could be indicated by an umbrella.
"
Gobla написал:
When I think of rune circles I think of things that just slightly make your skin crawl just looking at them. Things that that make you go 'well that can't do anything good...' instead of what the current circles make you go, 'Oooh! Pretty!'.

They could be a lot more menacing. From all I've seen in Wraeclast magic doesn't lead to pretty perfectly round and symmetrical circles. It leads to fucked up shit.
This.

It took me a long time — actually until Dominus was the final boss, because there is a fight which is fantastic aesthetically — to put my finger on why the Piety fight never felt that epic. I mean, it should have — for someone who's never fought her before, the transformation circles should be the same kind of "learning curve" problem. And then I realized that Dominus' markers — spawn points for Miscreations, the protective bubble, the visual appearance of Bleed charges, the blood rain itself — all fit the proper aesthetics of Wraeclast. Dark, menacing, fucked up shit. Whereas Piety's "rune circles" were never menacing... and that's after walking through the wax-statue Holocaust museum which is Lunaris 3. It's a very immersion-breaking experience, going directly from the dark and death-filled atmosphere of the level as a whole to the neon lights of the Piety fight.

Piety deserves rune circles which make your skin crawl.
Последняя редакция: ScrotieMcB. Время: 25 нояб. 2013 г., 4:40:05

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация