Hardcore vs Default

Posted this in another discussion thread a few weeks ago. Hope it helps other people understand a little more why some of us play exclusively in HC.

--

I find it annoying that people constantly say that HC is MAN MODE and SC is scrubcore, only casuals play it, hardcore gamers play HC only, etc etc. That being said, these are typically the three main reasons most of us play HC.

The most common reason is that no matter what, nothing will come close to the adrenaline rush you get when you drop down to 5-10% of your life, especially if it's in an instant. That HOLY SHIT moment of knowing you might lose 5, 10, 20, 50+ hours of gameplay in an blink of an eye, that's why many of us play hardcore. Yes, were there only a default league available, we'd still more or less play in the same style, going with high defenses and minimizing deaths. Tthe fact remains, no matter how carefully we might want to play in SC, the fact that the concept of only ONE death exists in HC, makes it just fundamentally different as to how we approach it. In SC, how many players inch their way through a zone, making sure to curse all enemies right away to weaken them, properly position yourself to have an exit at all times, be ready at any given moment to TP to refresh pots or even, dare I say it, save/exit, etc? How many times do you kill a champ pack or a bunch of monsters then wait for your cds to come back up, your traps to come back up to 3, etc? That's how a lot of us play in HC, especially as you get closer to merciless and monsters are a LOT less forgiving.

The second reason would be the economy. Currency is less inflated as items are taken out of the game all the time. Sure, most of it is kept in the stash, but the time and money sunk into the items we buy/craft for our gear, that's always changing. As stated earlier by another poster, that "OMG ____ JUST DROPPED!" seems a lot more meaningful in HC than in SC the rarer the item is.

Third, the community, very generally speaking, tends to be a little more mature and helpful. We all know we're here for one life, and one life only. Thus, especially for the newer players, many players tend to be more forgiving and more helpful in #chat. We all started out as newbies, and while many of us are not new to HC in general, a lot of people will be. We're more prone to stacking defensive auras, so parties are safer with all the buffs, and so on, and asking questions about tough bosses will often be answered quite promptly- "I have X hp and Y resists, do you think I can handle Vaal/Piety" are generally answered quite quickly and politely.

PS- One other thing I forgot to mention- for those of us who play solo or try tackling a boss solo for a better/guaranteed chance at drops, there's that awesome feeling the first time you kill a particular boss.

I'm pretty sure every single person remembers their first Vaal/Piety kill on every difficulty. Even if you partied to do it and it was a lot safer, still! And again, that OHSHIT adrenaline rush of a feeling when you get lightning bolted by the Oversoul, Piety's lightning ball runs over you and you're frantically clicking the other direction, or when she goes RED ANGRY MODE and starts beating on your ass, there's nothing in default that comes close to it.
IGN- Vyvanne | Voxxvi (Tempest League)
Vyvanne's Odds and Bods Boutique - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1311497
I just started HC for the first time last week. I had two SC characters to learn about the game and play through it. (lvl 62 I think) I then moved to HC which I am enjoying a whole lot because it forces me to play carefully. I will check back in after I lose my character and see how I feel then though. It is always just a matter of time before losing a character is how I see it. (got up to level 29 so far)
hardcore players large penis size, softcore....not so much
There's nothing on HC that makes me want to start a char there. I've never cared for economy, so I don't know and don't care about the difference between both leagues' economy.

The community is exactly the same. There are both helpful people and dicks in both leagues. And even if it wasn't the case, having more helpful people in one or the other league wouldn't make any difference to me.
"
fpspro написал:

Rule doesn't apply in Asian countries...
"
Xavderion написал:
"
piscator123 написал:
Here we go again...

POe has no hardcore league, not with this alt f4 bullshit...

The babbycore players should come up with something new, it's getting boring :p Also obligatory pictures.

HC = Exit-to-login-screen core.
IGN: Ziggro
"
fpspro написал:

Even female hardcore gamers? And I take it you have personally measured each one. Oh ho...!
"
LennyLen написал:
"
Flab написал:
The only time I played SC was the first time I played the game, I found that with my first character (a ranger), not spending skill points and only dying once by level 25 or so due to pure recklessness, it was just too easy. Tried HC and well, impossible to enjoy SC after that.

I find it very difficult to understand the sentiment here. Why is default "impossible" to enjoy?

I played both leagues during CB, and gained the same enjoyment form playing on both leagues. After all, it's the exact same game. There is nothing you can do in HC that you can't do in default, except brag about the fact that you're still alive. And if that's the only way you can enjoy yourself, then I feel very sorry for you.

I've been playing in default since OB because I find that dying to desync takes away almost as much enjoyment as I get from playing the game.

You can feel sorry for me, that's just super. I just enjoy the concept of not being allowed to die much more, what are you expecting? If you can't relate to that, oh well.
Hard core requires mega internet. Not everyone has mega internet. The concept is nice, but it's very impractical. One lag spike can end a months worth of work. I don't find that to be a logical investment. I get enough deaths from rubber banding and freezing as it is. I don't need more stress.
I have yet to venture into hardcore. I've died way too many times with my client telling me I'm in an open field, yet the server later informing me I was stuck in a corner. Once the games netcode matures further, I'll definitely give it a whirl.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация