Anyone else love d4 story but find the combat and looting to be completely unenjoyable?

I'm currently at 62 and got to torment yesterday. Completed some nightmare dungeons at playing some mixture of coldcaltrops, shadowimbuement twisting blade rogue.

Combat: is currently interesting as I actually need tactics instead of zoomzoom in poe, or boring standing in one place because i'm so tanky(sorc...)

paragon board: meh incredibly simple, select the board you need, get all good major passives, take shortest path between them, no real variance.

Glyphs: also kind of boring, just strait up power, currently there are simply "best" glyphs.

Loot: also currently meh. Ancestral is the last yellow tier right now. Uniques are quite rare, but also build enabling.... a strange combination indeed.

Crafting: yeah no. reroll one affix, add a socket, insert/extract unique aspect. Not really much right now.

World: beautiful, good quests, a loooot of eastereggs as well as much to do.... but:

Wisphering tree: Loot doesn't seem to scale with difficulty. Legion events: thanks to the fire the most potent leveling mechanic currently for midgame. Helltide: meh
Worldbosses: meh Dungeons: are fun but loot doesn't seem to scale well with diffculty. mabye its balanced around doing tier30+ keys, i don't know.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
@tsunamikun

I agree with everything you said, at least for the most part. Story and world is A+ and the best in an ARPG and top 5 in MMO's (I preferred FFXIV and maybe classic WoW story wise).

We still don't know what will transfer to the next season, which further makes me not want to play. Let's say I get all of the renown and hate my life doing it. I run the risk it doesn't transfer and I have to do it again. If it does transfer then maybe it would be worth, HOWEVER, if I don't do it and it transfers then why would I play? The game is just a huge time sink for the sake of being a time sink. It's not rocket science to figure out what seasons will be like and tell us. They have had a few years to figure it out. It just seems like a scam. It's not actually a scam in terms of costing me money but more a scam for my time. I have to invest to prepare to possibly get something but then maybe not get that thing and have to redo the investment of time anyway. That sounds like how scams run. The whole execution of some of this game is just questionable to me and a bit disrespectful to some of the player bases intellect.

PoE does the time sink thing to some extent, however, it's done in the aggregate in the form of hunting for loot (div cards, rare uniques, specific influenced gear, currency) and not blatantly in your face and you don't feel obligated to go further in the game than you enjoy doing. In D4, because it cost me 80 bucks, I have a sense of obligation to get my moneys worth. Maybe I'm just a bit alone in thinking they could have done more with loot, combat, build variation, crafting, and the paragon board to make it challenging and enjoyable and not just eHP and DPS scaling monsters and holding back high level loot for no particular reason.
"
Reinhart написал:
Didn't buy Diablo 4.
Didn't buy Diablo 3.

ALSO

Didn't buy Cyberpunk.
Won't buy Avowed.
Won't buy Baldur's Gate 3.
Maybe buy Starfield but surely not on day 1.

I am very critical when it comes to games.

Yep. If we ever see another Elder Scrolls game, I'll likely wait a year or more before I buy it, assuming that what I see of the gameplay suits me. Frostpunk 2 is coming out next year, but may not have the same feel as the original, so, same deal.

It doesn't pay to jump right in anymore; I'll usually wait a week for the shakedown patches to get underway before starting a new league in PoE (assuming it interests me). ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Blizzard have an annoying way of putting everything together but in the completely wrong order and then charging you with time and money to move things back to where they should have been.

Then all the gamers clap their hands at the same time and say, "With enough complaining anything is possible. Here's to another 10 years."

It's funny because it's true.
"
鬼殺し написал:
Thanks for sharing...I guess.

If it abides the rules, you can post whatever you want.

There is a portion of modern gamers who are fed up with Blizzard but yet keeps buying their games. Do not understand this behaviour at all. You had the chance to play the beta, make up your mind there, which is what I did. That is the reason why I said I didn't buy Diablo 4: you could already tell looting was lackluster from the beta.

Maybe because I am the type of person that is not loyal to a brand. Example: Witcher 1 was designed for pc. The sequel was mainly a console game ported to pc and from that moment on, I dropped the series.

Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Raycheetah написал:
"
Reinhart написал:
Didn't buy Diablo 4.
Didn't buy Diablo 3.

ALSO

Didn't buy Cyberpunk.
Won't buy Avowed.
Won't buy Baldur's Gate 3.
Maybe buy Starfield but surely not on day 1.

I am very critical when it comes to games.

Yep. If we ever see another Elder Scrolls game, I'll likely wait a year or more before I buy it, assuming that what I see of the gameplay suits me. Frostpunk 2 is coming out next year, but may not have the same feel as the original, so, same deal.

It doesn't pay to jump right in anymore; I'll usually wait a week for the shakedown patches to get underway before starting a new league in PoE (assuming it interests me). ='[.]'=

It is not that I can't afford games but it is indeed wiser to see which way the cat jumps. There is a track record of launching technically subpar PC games in recent years. And I do not want to spend money on inferior games.

Not only are most PC games not fully designed for PC, most upcoming games also betray their own roots.

Avowed will play in the setting of Pillars of Eternity and while they initially promised a dark fantasy game, current footage shows underdeveloped, cartoony 'Outer Worlds' gameplay.

Larian just developed a sequel to Divinity Original Sin, featuring turn based combat, slapping the name Baldur's Gate on it.

[Removed by Support]
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Последняя редакция: Whai_GGG. Время: 14 июня 2023 г., 3:36:07
"
Reinhart написал:

It is not that I can't afford games but it is indeed wiser to see which way the cat jumps. There is a track record of launching technically subpar PC games in recent years. And I do not want to spend money on inferior games.

Not only are most PC games not fully designed for PC, most upcoming games also betray their own roots.

Avowed will play in the setting of Pillars of Eternity and while they initially promised a dark fantasy game, current footage shows underdeveloped, cartoony 'Outer Worlds' gameplay.

Larian just developed a sequel to Divinity Original Sin, featuring turn based combat, slapping the name Baldur's Gate on it.

Strange, I buy games because i want to have fun, but good to know there are people who (don't)buy them to feel morally superior.
Technically Supbar games were released a long time ago too. Back then there was no online community to flame about as well as games that are codebase wise not even a promile at the size of todays standard games. and patches? lol.
Also you played frostpunk? that was a bugfest too, but maybe not enough to trigger your feelings ;)

And baldurs gate 2 was a snorefest anyway with one of the worst stories in rpgs. Its overhyped because people feel "cool" having played it as kids. Thanks to larian we may get a decent RPG this time around, the round based combat fits dnd games better anyway as the source (you know, the pen and paper thing) is turnbased too.

Starfield? That will, as any bethseda game, be a boring bugfest without any real content with its combat base in Fallout4. But you skipped witcher2 because the focus was on consoles?

"
There is a portion of modern gamers who are fed up with Blizzard but yet keeps buying their games. Do not understand this behaviour at all. You had the chance to play the beta, make up your mind there, which is what I did. That is the reason why I said I didn't buy Diablo 4: you could already tell looting was lackluster from the beta.

You could tell from the beta how looting would be? the first act with a level cap we showed nothing about item tiers or uniques because they couldn't drop? I imagine you would know how loot works in POE too from the first act. Wow, it seems you are clairvoyant.

Also, I already played 70 hours and the game is still fun, even with its problems.
If I stop in one or weeks or may friends stop it may be different, but it will hold until then. It seems my money was well invested.

Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
Последняя редакция: tsunamikun. Время: 14 июня 2023 г., 5:50:47
hoho
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Последняя редакция: xPiranha. Время: 14 июня 2023 г., 7:25:54
The story stuff was pretty dire everywhere that the big bads were involved. I guess you could say it's good for Diablo, but that's not really a compliment. Writing in that main quest was mostly fine, but jesus christ,
Скрытый текст
the main character does this speech after killing Lilith like "they call me hero, but I'm just a person like anyone else, powerful yes, but flawed" and it felt like something a car salesman would write. What a way to end your game.

Lots of the smaller pieces were handled well though, largest of which was probably the Neyrelle arc (other than the silly ending). Act 5 stuff was good, liked the witch and the dreamsnake. Lots of ultracheese in sidequests but quite a few good quality bitesize tidbits sprinkled throughout.

But overall if they wouldn't have got Ralph Ineson on Lorath I think it would have been hard to swallow.
There are a lot of things I want to say, but it would be a lot of work to quote everyone and take part, so I'll just say a few things.

I've never been disappointed by a Blizzard game. I may have enjoyed it less than others though. D4 is in that category. Even though I played Diablo Immortal for about 20 hours, I didn't feel like I wasted my time, and I didn't spend any money. I haven't tried OW2, and I probably won't, since I didn't really like the first one much. Not a bad game. Just not my cup of tea. I still think HoTS is the best MOBA. SC2 is one of a kind as well, both in campaign and PVP.

I liked D3 when it came out and even later during its progressive updates. I agree that we can't just jump into games blindly without watching or reading more about how they work. What I mean is that I played D4 without knowing anything about it from streams, betas, etc to maximize my personal experience. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't have bought it if I tried out the beta for sure. I just think the fighting is dull. It's too similar to D3's combat, scaling, and progression systems, and I've spent a lot of time with D3 on both consoles and PCs.

It's fine to buy a game right when it comes out or wait until it gets better. To each their own.

As for the other titles that people are talking about, I'm definitely going to wait and see how things go for now on. D4 was a wakeup call. I could have watched the story online and been happy.

Also, games that aren't JRPGs have a huge tendency to waste a lot of time. Making travel take longer than it needs to, making combat not hard but time-consuming, or any number of other things. PoE even does it in a lazy way by having a lot of action speed and MS slows that you can't avoid. Nothing ever dies and just have it end there...something always happens after. I feel like I'm being punished for doing my job and killing enemies. It's sloppy and lazy. Make the mobs challenging to kill so I have something interesting to deal with.

The amount of time games want from us is getting out of hand. I've been slowly making an ARPG's back end so I can feel free to make whatever I want on the front end. My dream has always been to make a game. We'll see. I'm focusing on the math, db, etc first.
Последняя редакция: ekopalm. Время: 14 июня 2023 г., 10:34:15

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация