How dare the reddit PoE mods lock down the 'official' PoE sub-reddit

"
DarthSki44 написал:
I've always thought that Devs running their own subreddit, and moderating it, was terrible optics.

Do you really want GGG controlling narratives, topics, information, fucking with rules, making edits, etc..?

While there are edgelord moderators all over discord and reddit, it's still the lesser of two evils imo, to having a massive conflict of interest, information and discussion wise, if it's all self-policed by the company internally.

Agreed. There are certainly things that can't be discussed here but could be discussed there. I suspect enumerating those things would get removed, but those of us who have been here a while know those topics well.

I'm sure the same could be said inversely as well. If true, it only further supports the thought.
I don't use Reddit. Well maybe for a few minutes a year. I understand even less what was going on. Here's an article that helped my understanding a tiny bit.

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/reddit-shutting-down-api-controversy-explained/
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
sevens67 написал:
Its a lot more than just the mods having access to tools. I get you just do not care but its ok to suffer a little for the greater good in the long run. Reddit is the one you should be angry at not anyone else.

It's not for the greater good. It's for greedy app devs like Apollo that think they can profit off another companies platform. Moderation tools and accessibility have already been confirmed by reddit to not be affected. Use the official app. It works just fine.
IGN DanteAllighari - Standard
ArcTesla - Domination
DanteAlighari - Domination
"
Nubatron написал:
"
Xyel написал:
"
Nubatron написал:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a Reddit mod. No matter what you do, people talk about you in the worst way possible. You're guilty by association instantly. One mod is shit? You must be too.

Now Reddit makes it so tools that help moderate economically infeasible, resulting in moderating being much harder. They take a stand on the matter and they're just bashed some more.

I'm going to guess everyone who is bashing the mods would never put in the time and effort to be a mod. Particularly since Reddit is filled with hateful awful comments that constantly need moderated and you get shit on for doing it.

I still remember the shock from when I found out that reddit mods aren't reddit employees, but people who, for some reason unfathomable to me, work for a billion dollar corporation without any pay or promise of thereof.

I get that people like to do things harmful to themselves, but I don't see why I should support it.

It's the only way that business model works probably. Anyone being able to create a sub and Reddit being responsible for moderating them would quickly scale beyond any reasonable budget. Reddit would need to become an advertisement cesspool or users would have to pay to use. The free to use part brings a lot of people, which is part of what makes it all work, so forcing people to pay probably wouldn't fly. Ads everywhere makes an app miserable to use, and eventually they find a way to avoid them through ad blockers or just leaving, lowering that revenue stream.

Anyway, this is a temporary speed bump on the path to Reddit taking a turn for the (much) worse. If mods lose the tools to do their jobs effectively, they'll likely give up after trying to do their jobs ineffectively and then getting shit on even more. Subs will shift toward the loudest and most crass, and anyone worth having a civil conversation will be gone.

It's the natural cycle of things if you're aware of the enshittification lifecycle. They're currently shitting on their business partners. That's where we are.

Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter are doing mostly fine in the moderation department, and they don't have an army of unpaid volunteers.

Reddit already has quite a few ads and adblockers aren't picking them up since they are presented as posts, and the API restrictions are partly aimed at the alternate reddit apps, which avoid those ads.

I'm not sure this will be a turn for the worse - I use reddit a lot, it's by far and wide my most used social website, and one of its issues is that the subreddits tend to become echo-chamberish at times. The self-moderation contributes to it, because in many subreddits, mods tend to delete posts they disagree with.

I've been around quite a few subreddits, some of them completely unmoderated, and it wasn't a cesspool or anything of that sort. Reddit already has the self-moderation function where heavily downvoted commets vanish and heavily downvoted posts sink, and the imagination that there's an army of people waiting to post most reprehensible of things if only there weren't so many mods on reddit has nothing real behind it.

As for reddit business partners, well, they are planning to increase the advertising's impact since it will get more difficult to avoid via 3rd party tools, and they are likely going to offer their own, paid replacements instead, which companies running their subreddits will gladly use.
They should either close it permanently or hand it over to GGG.

Ppl are just repeating poe sub mod talking points and glossing over the fact that PoE is mainly a PC game. The vast majority of topics here and there are all by PC users. Most of them open reddit with ad-blocker and are completely unaffected by the "trials and tribulations" of the poe sub moderators.

I even saw a comment that it's "For the greater good to have poe sub moderators over GGG moderators". Like what!? ppl like that can't be serious.

What's next? GGG's support is bad? I mean come on people stop trying to hide the sun with your thumbs.

The best thing that could possibly happen to the community is for that sub to disappear completely and/or given away to GGG to do or not do as they see fit.
"
StinkStink написал:

Ppl are just repeating poe sub mod talking points and glossing over the fact that PoE is mainly a PC game. The vast majority of topics here and there are all by PC users. Most of them open reddit with ad-blocker and are completely unaffected by the "trials and tribulations" of the poe sub moderators.

I even saw a comment that it's "For the greater good to have poe sub moderators over GGG moderators". Like what!? ppl like that can't be serious.

What's next? GGG's support is bad? I mean come on people stop trying to hide the sun with your thumbs.

The best thing that could possibly happen to the community is for that sub to disappear completely and/or given away to GGG to do or not do as they see fit.

Well I think you have made your opinion quite clear.

As I said handing over all narrative & discussion control on GGG realted information to the Developer to self-police fairly, isn't a very good idea, like at all.

Hell you cannot even discuss moderation here as part of their Code of Conduct terms. Imagine doing that on Reddit lol.

"GGG I dont think you should be censoring that topic". "Oh shit, I'm banned". That's sounds objectively awful.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Lol this thread sums p the poe reddit community so well. [Removed by Support] That mixed in with people just demanding that "they hand the sub over". It's a free site on the internet. They don't have to "hand over" anything.

That sub is probably the most toxic website I have ever been on as well, and there is little to no "benefit" of it even existing. Useful info gets downvoted to hell, toxicity gets shared and high fived non stop. What's the point? The moment any teasers get re-posted from this forum, it's just non-stop negativity about how ggg hates us and wants to ruin their game.

The community and the game would not be worse off if it stayed private or closed completely
Последняя редакция: Vinky_GGG. Время: 15 июня 2023 г., 17:38:24
"
Xyel написал:

Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter are doing mostly fine in the moderation department, and they don't have an army of unpaid volunteers.

Reddit already has quite a few ads and adblockers aren't picking them up since they are presented as posts, and the API restrictions are partly aimed at the alternate reddit apps, which avoid those ads.

I'm not sure this will be a turn for the worse - I use reddit a lot, it's by far and wide my most used social website, and one of its issues is that the subreddits tend to become echo-chamberish at times. The self-moderation contributes to it, because in many subreddits, mods tend to delete posts they disagree with.

I've been around quite a few subreddits, some of them completely unmoderated, and it wasn't a cesspool or anything of that sort. Reddit already has the self-moderation function where heavily downvoted commets vanish and heavily downvoted posts sink, and the imagination that there's an army of people waiting to post most reprehensible of things if only there weren't so many mods on reddit has nothing real behind it.

As for reddit business partners, well, they are planning to increase the advertising's impact since it will get more difficult to avoid via 3rd party tools, and they are likely going to offer their own, paid replacements instead, which companies running their subreddits will gladly use.

I honestly think that smaller subs are fine, but once you start getting into the millions, you're bound to have bad apples that are shockingly awful and equally loudmouthed about it. Not all subs are bad and I realize that's a broad generalization, but that has definitely been my experience. The toxic subs are still better than the echo chambers that ban any outsider opinions. Those are funny in a way I suppose.

As for YT, FB and Twitter: I'm not sure that is the finest example of good places to be. I largely quit using FB a few years ago because it was getting so bad. One of my high school acquaintances became a raging racist and seemed to be able to say some pretty awful things without any repercussions. YT comments can be pretty vile as well. I don't use Twitter much, but it does appear that a lot of bigoted awful things are unmoderated now in the name of "free speech absolutism" (while ironically censoring things that the thin-skinned CEO gets his feelings hurt over).

Now some will say that everyone should be able to say whatever they want, and that's kind of true I suppose if you think the vilest deserve a megaphone. I tend to reference the Paradox of Tolerance when it comes to that point though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
Последняя редакция: Nubatron. Время: 15 июня 2023 г., 15:39:10
"
DarthSki44 написал:
"
StinkStink написал:

Well I think you have made your opinion quite clear.

As I said handing over all narrative & discussion control on GGG realted information to the Developer to self-police fairly, isn't a very good idea, like at all.

Hell you cannot even discuss moderation here as part of their Code of Conduct terms. Imagine doing that on Reddit lol.

"GGG I dont think you should be censoring that topic". "Oh shit, I'm banned". That's sounds objectively awful.

Have you seen the moderation on the poe sub?

Literally in favor of topics like: RMT, Bots, Multiboxing, discord groups with known ties with RMT. As soon as a topic against any of those issues arise they delete it.

To be clear, they are not deleting topics against those ToS breaking exploits they promote them.

They promote it so heavily that people got fed up and posted a bunch and started to question their why.

Their response? Just "one" of the poe sub moderators was also moderating for one of those third party communities with ties with RMT. So he took it upon himself to censor everyone. A literal "scapegoat"... and what repercussions did he suffer? NONE! Meanwhile, entire communities of players exposing the mafia got banned.

So yeah... APPLES and ORANGES.

GGG's staff has been for 10 years nothing short of amazing... nobody can say the same for the poe sub team.
"
StinkStink написал:

Literally in favor of topics like: RMT, Bots, Multiboxing, discord groups with known ties with RMT. As soon as a topic against any of those issues arise they delete it.

The subreddit is explicitly not in favour of bots, RMT, etc. Discussions of Terms of Use breaching are not allowed according to the rules of the subreddit.

If you're referring to TFT, there's nothing inherently Terms of Use breaching about TFT so why should discussion about it be restricted anyway? You're also allowed to talk about TFT here on the official forums.

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация