How many of us are left playing POE...

"
Natharias написал:
"
Caessa написал:
"
Shagsbeard написал:
Whippersnapper. Get off my lawn!

I'm practically a babe compared with the average here it seems.

What is the average?

IDK. I just remember seeing a lot of 30+/40+ in a thread.
IGN: Caessa_Undying - 4 FPS Immersive Rain 4 Lyfe!

Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/822740
I'm confused. Are you saying that the only decent game today is PoE? Or you only say that because of age? Or rather, never, because once a gamer, always a gamer?

I do feel some longing for the days back with famicom/superfamicom then the first playstation. Those were the best times for gaming for me. While I have been hooked in a few games over the years (WoW is a good example), none of the games ever brought that joy and delight playing on a famicom/superfamicom/playstation did. Perhaps its just age. I'm pretty sure kids these days are having a blast with the games of today.

Heh, yeah, when I turned 30, I also felt old and wise. God, I wish I was quite that young again! :)

The thing is, games were never really different. People wear these rose colored glasses and somehow identify their "lost youth" with memories of games they played when they were young, when their dreams were less damaged, when life seemed fresher and heavy with potential. But it's mostly just an illusion.

Even in the 1980s when "home computers" roamed the wild, the vast majority of games were crap. I reviewed them for a living at that time (well, late 80s, into the 90s). There were a few gems -- the games that have become "classics" --, but overall there was just as much garbage as today. Then, in the nineties, we saw the emerging of "multimedia games", where more CDs supposedly meant "better". Lots of junk, but pretty junk at least.

If anything, games today are quite a bit more complex. There's more CPU power, much better visuals, orchestral tracks instead of beep-beep-beep. Retro is "in", but personally, I find retro-style games about as much fun as watching black/white movies. Fist-sized pixels have no appeal to me, now. Of course there is a ton of crap out there, but that simply was never different. Perhaps there is MORE garbage out there now, because it's relatively easy to make and put out games, but the number of good games also increased, for the same reason.

People's expectations and tolerance levels have changed, too. You often hear that Master of Magic was a classic, best fantasy strategy game ever, yadda yadda. Yes, it was great, but it was also unfinished, buggy as hell, and imbalanced like you'd not believe. It was never fixed, either. We didn't mind back then, because we were used to either getting no patches or maybe finding them on some magazine's disk or CD months later (or we were lucky and had a modem and downloaded the rare patch from an overseas BBS or, gasp, a CompuServe library). Today, people would never accept a buggy game like MoM, it would be damned as "crap", as "a rip-off", and as a certain sign that PC gaming is no longer what it once was.

In ten or twenty years, we'll look back and bemoan how they no longer make games like they did in 2014. Times change. People don't.
"
Mivo написал:
Times change. People don't.

People do change from generation to generation. Just look at the grandchildren of nazis in Germany. Only a very small percentage of those grandchildren share the ideas of those elders.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Последняя редакция: mazul. Время: 10 февр. 2014 г., 23:59:38
"
mazul написал:
"
Mivo написал:
Times change. People don't.

People do change from generation to generation. Just look at the grandchildren of nazis in Germany. Only a very small percentage of those grandchildren share the ideas of those elders.
"
mazul написал:
My Nazi ancestors disagree with you.

For one, your "Nazi ancestors" are probably dead, so they won't change anymore :), and besides, the same psychological factors that enabled Hitler's raise and the Third Reich still work now (cf. the gulf wars and how they were supported by "the people" as a result of deliberate misinformation and fear mongering -- exact same method that the "Nazis" applied). Propaganda aimed at fear and people's desire to be better than X still works as well as it always has. The basics were described in the middle ages by Machiavelli already. People are predictable, and, as I said, don't change. Look at the world: war, prejudice, oppression, racial issues ... are all well and alive.

But we were talking about video games. Comparing anything about gaming to the murder of millions of people is disrespectful to those who died in the most unspeakable ways.
Последняя редакция: Mivo. Время: 11 февр. 2014 г., 0:04:20
"
Mivo написал:
"
mazul написал:
My Nazi ancestors disagree with you.

For one, your "Nazi ancestors" are probably dead, so they won't change anymore :), and besides, the same psychological factors that enabled Hitler's raise and the Third Reich still work now (cf. the gulf wars and how they were supported by "the people" by deliberate misinformation and fear mongering). Propaganda aimed at fear and people's desire to be better than X still works as well as it always has. The basics were described in the middle ages by Machiavelli already. People are predictable, and, as I said, don't change. Look at the world: war, prejudice, oppression, racial issues ... are all well and alive.

But we were talking about video games. Comparing anything about gaming to the murder of millions of people is disrespectful to those who died in the most unspeakable ways.

Sure wars, prejudice, oppression and racial issues are all alive, but they are certainly not well. Compared to 100 years ago, those aspects of the world have seen a sharp decrease in power.

Edit to reply to your edit: you are talking about how people have been, how they are and how they will be; that's a very general perspective that is not restricted to just games.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Последняя редакция: mazul. Время: 11 февр. 2014 г., 0:07:03
"
Caessa написал:

IDK. I just remember seeing a lot of 30+/40+ in a thread.

LOL. Yep. I'm young XD
Последняя редакция: Natharias. Время: 11 февр. 2014 г., 0:10:21
"
mazul написал:
Edit to reply to your edit: you are talking about how people have been, how they are and how they will be; that's a very general perspective that is not restricted to just games.

Well, actually, what I originally meant is that people always (or at least: often) believe that things were "better" when they were young. That "the kids" had more morals, that people were less shallow, and that yes, games were better, too.

I wasn't really referring to social evolution, which is a much bigger topic.
"
Mivo написал:
"
mazul написал:

Well, actually, what I originally meant is that people always (or at least: often) believe that things were "better" when they were young. That "the kids" had more morals, that people were less shallow, and that yes, games were better, too.

I wasn't really referring to social evolution, which is a much bigger topic.

I'm not sure people just think games were better in an absolute sense, although no doubt there is some of that. I think a lot of people take into account relativity, progress and novelty. Progress in particular is an expected aspect.

If you start looking at it like that, they may even have a case. Novelty surely is harder to come by as saturation increases and progress has arguably flatlined quite a bit. Not entirely restricted to the games themselves either, progress for enabling aspects, such as the tech itself regarding computational power has dropped off considerably too.

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация