My GMP Fireball Elementalist - Need Help!

Hello everybody! I am someone who's still quite fresh after playing my character for
I require some help with this build - I have not enough survivability, I tend to get bursted down quickly, especially in breaches. I usually have problems with things like map bosses and some tougher rare enemies, they usually break through Zerphi's healing.
As in Title, I'm running GMP Fireball with Pledge of Hands, Arctic Armour and Clarity, Flame and Lightning Golem with Liege of the Primordial, and Orb of Storms with CoH Flammability.
Here are my items
Скрытый текст

Ideally I'd have 6-links, but I'm not able to get them just yet.
The flasks I'm using:
Скрытый текст

And my skill tree:
Скрытый текст
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAAN1BAcEswj0Dc0RLRM1Fm8XpBpsHM4c3B8CJKok2CcvKPopTyqNK1A1kjbYNuk6WDrYOuE8LT0PPV9FnUbXSRtMs1JTU1JVxlcrWHdfBF8qY_1mVGaeakNtGXGFcg965nyDfLuCm4PMg9uD94UyhW2Fe48akFWQ-pErlG-XlZf0mK2aO5rgna6iAKZXpwismK-nsUK3PriTvYLAVMBmxPbGrtAf1AfVgdWm2CTYvdyN323fiuFz42rkIukC6-Tr7uw47FXtPO_r8WzyRfMR_gr-VP6P_rM=?accountName=Haarri&characterName=Ayen

With this setup I have 3.4k life and about 700 es. What could I do to increase my survivability, what could I change? Any help is appreciated!
Последняя редакция: Haarri. Время: 9 февр. 2017 г., 15:43:23
Last bumped14 февр. 2017 г., 2:53:37
So I took a look at your tree and you do not have enough life nodes. You also have next to no life on your gear. Pretty much every piece of gear should have + x to maximum life on it if you're going to be a life build. Also, for your orb of storms setup, I would recommend replacing inc aoe with inc crit strikes gem and get elemental overload. Since you're not a crit build, this will give you a good boost to your damage + with inc strike gem, it will proc EO much more often. I would also put an added cold damage gem in the orb of storms setup so that way you're not accidentally giving monsters +20% resists to your fire damage. A lot of people forget to link this in and what happens is that your lightning from orbs hits, then if you don't one shot with your fireball on the next hit, then monsters will become resistant to both your fire and lightning damage on the hit after that. By putting cold damage on your orb of storms, it makes sure that EE is always affected by cold and lightning, and never your fireball.

Flammability is good, but consider grabbing another curse and adding warlord's mark for both life and mana leech. It will help beef up your defenses a bit.

I would drop celestial punishment since you're not scaling ignite damage and scaling the initial impact instead. Use those points to pick up the 6% life passive right next to devotion, then your choice of the life passive next to discipline and training or the last life passive in the scion life wheel.

But by and large, the trouble you're having is mainly not having enough life on your gear. Pledge is okay for fireball but there are better options for scaling damage. If you wanna stick to staves, I would recommend getting a searing touch or realm ender. I would REALLY recommend you moving up to doryani's catalyst and getting a shield with flat life on it. Doryani's catalyst will give you life leech and a big boost to your damage. Pledge imo is better for builds like storm call where you can stack a crap to of them in seconds to 1 shot bosses. It's okayish for fireball, but searing touch and doryani's catalyst are BiS for fire spells.
"
tacotiklah написал:
So I took a look at your tree and you do not have enough life nodes. You also have next to no life on your gear. Pretty much every piece of gear should have + x to maximum life on it if you're going to be a life build. Also, for your orb of storms setup, I would recommend replacing inc aoe with inc crit strikes gem and get elemental overload. Since you're not a crit build, this will give you a good boost to your damage + with inc strike gem, it will proc EO much more often. I would also put an added cold damage gem in the orb of storms setup so that way you're not accidentally giving monsters +20% resists to your fire damage. A lot of people forget to link this in and what happens is that your lightning from orbs hits, then if you don't one shot with your fireball on the next hit, then monsters will become resistant to both your fire and lightning damage on the hit after that. By putting cold damage on your orb of storms, it makes sure that EE is always affected by cold and lightning, and never your fireball.

Flammability is good, but consider grabbing another curse and adding warlord's mark for both life and mana leech. It will help beef up your defenses a bit.

I would drop celestial punishment since you're not scaling ignite damage and scaling the initial impact instead. Use those points to pick up the 6% life passive right next to devotion, then your choice of the life passive next to discipline and training or the last life passive in the scion life wheel.

But by and large, the trouble you're having is mainly not having enough life on your gear. Pledge is okay for fireball but there are better options for scaling damage. If you wanna stick to staves, I would recommend getting a searing touch or realm ender. I would REALLY recommend you moving up to doryani's catalyst and getting a shield with flat life on it. Doryani's catalyst will give you life leech and a big boost to your damage. Pledge imo is better for builds like storm call where you can stack a crap to of them in seconds to 1 shot bosses. It's okayish for fireball, but searing touch and doryani's catalyst are BiS for fire spells.

I've just bought The Searing Touch and realized why it won't work. Pledge has lvl 30 echo, which multiplies manacost of fireball - with that mana ball costs around 108 mana - enough for Kitava's procs. With Searing Touch, it costs only about 80 mana, and Kitava's useless.
I guess I could just reroll some of the points on skill tree to get second curse, and get some +max life on rings
"
tacotiklah написал:
I would also put an added cold damage gem in the orb of storms setup so that way you're not accidentally giving monsters +20% resists to your fire damage. A lot of people forget to link this in and what happens is that your lightning from orbs hits, then if you don't one shot with your fireball on the next hit, then monsters will become resistant to both your fire and lightning damage on the hit after that. By putting cold damage on your orb of storms, it makes sure that EE is always affected by cold and lightning, and never your fireball.

... What? Uhh, EE has never worked like that. If you link added cold on Lightning Orb, what's going to happen is:
Lightning orb hits - Mob is resistant to Lightning and Cold, weak to Fire
Fireball hits - Mob is resistant to Fire, weak to lightning and cold

Without cold link:
Lightning orb hits - Mob is resistant to Lightning, weak to Fire and Cold
Fireball hits - Mob is resistant to Fire, weak to lightning and cold

EE sets resistances based on the most recent elemental damage it took from a single "hit" (so ignite running doesn't re-proc EE as it's not a "hit"). If you hit with all three elements in one hit, it becomes resistant to all three elements. As the OP is just concerned about fire damage, linking cold damage on OOS has literally no effect.

"
tacotiklah написал:
If you wanna stick to staves, I would recommend getting a searing touch

You just said you recognized they're not scaling burning/ignite damage - a searing touch would be awful

"
tacotiklah написал:
I would REALLY recommend you moving up to doryani's catalyst and getting a shield with flat life on it. Doryani's catalyst will give you life leech and a big boost to your damage. Pledge imo is better for builds like storm call where you can stack a crap to of them in seconds to 1 shot bosses. It's okayish for fireball, but searing touch and doryani's catalyst are BiS for fire spells.

Neither of these are BiS for fire spells - any fire spell. These are great starting items, don't get me wrong, they offer a lot of bang for your buck. Doryani's catalyst offers a lot of damage for what it costs to trade for one, but it's hardly BiS.

Lets say at max rolls, it offers:
132% increased elemental damage
10% cast speed
40% global crit chance
0.2% of elemental damage leeched as life

Pretty nice, those are some great stats. But what can a rare scepter offer us?

Implicit 40% + 79% (Runic) + 30% (of Ashes) = 149% increased elemental damage
49-89 +base fire damage (Cremating) -- this is *massive*
25% cast speed (of Fenesse)
109% crit chance with spells (of Unmaking)
1.0% of Fire Damage Leeched as Life (cat mastercraft)

Like, there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever to what a rare can do/have. A well rolled rare completely and utterly destroys doryani's in every single regard.

I agree with your recommendations of more life, and EO, but I don't think EE works how you think it works, and I don't think you understand what BiS means =p
"
Haarri написал:
Hello everybody! I am someone who's still quite fresh after playing my character for
I require some help with this build - I have not enough survivability, I tend to get bursted down quickly, especially in breaches. I usually have problems with things like map bosses and some tougher rare enemies, they usually break through Zerphi's healing.
As in Title, I'm running GMP Fireball with Pledge of Hands, Arctic Armour and Clarity, Flame and Lightning Golem with Liege of the Primordial, and Orb of Storms with CoH Flammability.
Here are my items
Скрытый текст

Ideally I'd have 6-links, but I'm not able to get them just yet.
The flasks I'm using:
Скрытый текст

And my skill tree:
Скрытый текст
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAAN1BAcEswj0Dc0RLRM1Fm8XpBpsHM4c3B8CJKok2CcvKPopTyqNK1A1kjbYNuk6WDrYOuE8LT0PPV9FnUbXSRtMs1JTU1JVxlcrWHdfBF8qY_1mVGaeakNtGXGFcg965nyDfLuCm4PMg9uD94UyhW2Fe48akFWQ-pErlG-XlZf0mK2aO5rgna6iAKZXpwismK-nsUK3PriTvYLAVMBmxPbGrtAf1AfVgdWm2CTYvdyN323fiuFz42rkIukC6-Tr7uw47FXtPO_r8WzyRfMR_gr-VP6P_rM=?accountName=Haarri&characterName=Ayen

With this setup I have 3.4k life and about 700 es. What could I do to increase my survivability, what could I change? Any help is appreciated!

As tacotiklah recommends, you'll want a lot more life. You should have about 4k life minimum in a hybrid life/es build. This is largely due to lack of life on gear, but you can re-arrange your passives as well to get a bit more.

Here's a sligtly modified version of your tree

Basically we're picking up Elemental overload, and dropping the tireless wheel for the melding wheel, and taking a more efficient route to the constitution wheel and a couple small health nodes here and there. This grants an extra 30% increased life over what you had, 25% increased energy shield, more manage regen, and a bit of life regen. You want to proc kitava's, but you have the tireless wheel, which is counterproductive. You'll also want to pick up more jewel sockets, and get yourself some rolling flames jewels. Also, maybe pick up a couple of the big dex nodes so you aren't so dependent on gear to provide your dex for gems.

For your gems, you'll want to get to a 6-link ASAP. That 5th support is going to make a massive difference, and is going to make proccing kitava's much easier.

Like tacotiklah also recommended, I prefer a 1h + a shield over a staff for spells. The reason is you can actually usually much better offensive and defensive stats with this setup. A 2-h weapon is really only for when you want need two 6-links, if you're running something like Kaom's heart so you can't get a 6-l in your chest, or if you're running harbringer, so you can't wear a chest for a 6l.

You're also not really using that link in your chest. OOS is great for re-applying curses, and OK at proccing EE, but innervate isn't really doing anything for you (you need to kill a shocked enemy with the skill you got innervate linked with), and inc AoE doesn't do much for OOS. You can just put this in a 4 link with OOS + Inc Crit + curse on hit + flammability to apply your curse and proc both EE and EO.

For your defensive link, I prefer vortex over frost nova, as vortex leaves behind a degen that continues to slow enemies, though frost nova has a larger AoE. This is just personal preference.

Faster casting doesn't do much for lightning warp - it's only slow due to the delay. I might recommend using reduced mana cost instead so you don't have to worry about running through mana if you need to travel long distances with it.

Looking through your items, I don't see how you could be resistance capped - this would be a massive issue if it's true. You want to hit at least 169 resistances to all elements while in your hideout. Your gear needs an overhaul for better life and resist rolls - prioritize this far over increased fire damage. On really well rolled items you would have both, but that's expensive. For now, just focus on better life and resists.

For your chest, if you can afford it, I would recommend Carcass Jack. It's going to help your fireball quite a bit, and offers good life and resists. Cloak of Flames is a nice chest with its physical damage mitigation, but honestly, its ES and lack of other defensive stats makes it fall off late game unless you really, really need that physical damage mitigation. Which from the looks of it, your too squishy all around as is for that level of mitigation to be helping much.

If you really really want to stick to staves, you want to find yourself at least a +2 staff, if not a +3.

Your optimal staff would be a rare with:

+1 to socketed gems
+2 to socketed fire gems
[X]% increased spell damage
[X]% increased cast speed
[X]% increased fire damage

and one other suffix of your choice - @see PoeSuffix.com to check what a rare staff can roll with for you. Though be aware, this also needs to be your 6-link, and these kinds of stats are incredibly expensive as they're the same stats you would want for a SRS build, which is fairly popular.

I don't think you really need to worry about leech. It's nice to have where you can get it, but in this kind of a build you should be playing from a fairly safe distance, so you should be able to avoid most damage, and leech isn't extremely powerful without a any leech nodes. Warlord's mark is a great curse for survivability, but I think you have other issues you can fix to help out your survivability.
Последняя редакция: VapidActions. Время: 10 февр. 2017 г., 15:05:04
Hello, and thanks for the help so far!
I've managed to switch up few things - first off, get some gear with +life/+str to get some more life - right now I am at about 4,4k life and 600 es, and I'm doing better in terms of survivability.
Here's the new gear so far:
Скрытый текст

I got a bit of health thanks to new rings, but I still gotta stay at around 110 dex, thus the dexterity. I'm really thinking about buying a rare 6l chest with good +max hp and fire resistance to keep the resistances capped.
I also swapped out the lightning warp for leap slam, and I think I'm fine with that change - because of that I have a free slot for my golems, and I have no idea for the 4th gem to link with them - any ideas?

Next thing I did is tweaking a bit my skill tree
Скрытый текст
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMCAAN1BAcEswj0Dc0OXBM1Fm8XpBhqGjgabBzOHNwfAiSqJNgnLyj6KU8qjStQNZI2xTbYNuk6WDrYOuE8LT0PPV9FfkWdSRtMs03jUlNTUlXGVkhXK1gHWHdfBF8qZlRqQ20Zcg94L3yDfLt85YKbg1-DzIPbhTKFbYV7jxqQVZD6kSuUb5eVl_SYrZo7muCboZ2uogCmV6cIrJivp7c-uJO9gsBUwGbE9sau0B_UB9WB1abYJNi93I3fbd-K4XPjauQi6QLr5Ovu7DjsVe087-vxbPJF99f-Cv5U_o_-sw==?accountName=Haarri&characterName=Ayen
- gave up on Celestial Punishment and Celestial Judgement to get Whispers of Doom - this way, I can use both Warlord's Mark for survivability and Flammability for extra fire pen, and I'm really liking this. Because of Endurance Charges generation from Warlord's Mark, I'm thinking about moving away from Kitava's for a rare head with some extra health or something, but I'd have to make a new line of defence. Any thoughts? Please share!

Edit: On another thought, I'm also considering moving away from Pledge (if I were to move away from Kitava's)(and thus get rid of zerphi's) for a Sceptre and a Shield, or maybe simply switch to Searing Touch, dunno
Последняя редакция: Haarri. Время: 12 февр. 2017 г., 7:11:02
How much currency are you working with?
"
VapidActions написал:
How much currency are you working with?

About 240c in all currencies I have
Последняя редакция: Haarri. Время: 12 февр. 2017 г., 8:33:14
  • A good Doryani's - 20c
  • 6l white chest armor - 20c
  • shrieking essence of greed (or anger) -- 3c each (Use until you get decent life/res rolls - expected cost 15c)
  • If lacking fire res, Rise of the Phoenix shield -1c, else spell damage+life+resistances ES shield (anywhere from 1c - 3ex)

Rise of the phoenix is great for fire resistance, as it also increases your max fire resistance also helping more with reflect. Though a general life/res shield will outperform it, it's a good cheap option.

Searing touch isn't a great option for you. A large part of it is burning damage, which you aren't scaling. While fireball has a decent ignite chance, it's not high enough to make it worth it on your current build - your build focuses on flat damage.

I highly recommend sparing a couple talent points to pick up the 30dex by tireless, and another 30 dex by elemental overload - this will greatly help with your gearing. Requiring attributes on gear (in most cases) generally isn't a great idea, as attributes are a suffix on gear. This means they compete with resistances and damage modifiers on gear. By sacrificing a couple passive points for those attributes you win in the end by not only having an easier time gearing, but able to get more powerful gear.

For a defensive line, I recommend CWDT + Vortex + Inc Duration + Immortal Call. Warlord's mark endurance charges are going to give you good immortal call durations, vortex will slow any enemies near you that might have caused it to be triggered in the first place, and inc duration benefits both.

Honestly, I think at > 4k life, with mind over matter and warlord's mark, your defense is fine at this point (assuming your resistances are elemental weakness capped). If you're having survivability issues at this point, it's due to poor positioning - you're eating more damage than you should be.

A good build is all about balancing offense and defense, so you don't want to sacrifice too much for that defense. Looking at your tree, I see a very high investment into strength (184 strength!) normally you just need about 114 strength at most to support your gems. Warlord's mark takes a bit more, but leveling warlord's mark just grants increased chance to generate endurance charge, which isn't that useful in this application. The leech is the same at all levels, so just whatever you "can" get it to is fine enough, you don't need to worry about levels on it. And CWDT and Immortal call you won't level past level 7 CWDT, so don't need to worry about str requirements there either.

Yes, strength is going to give a bit of flat life, but you're giving up a lot of potential damage in the tree for that little bit of life. Look at your tree, you have picked up 3 damage wheels, in your entire tree, you're spreading yourself pretty thin over that tree.

I don't want to tell you how to play, please, have fun how you have fun, but I just want to warn you before you invest too heavily and find out the hard way - I think you're going to have problems with this build, I expect you're going to hit a very hard wall with lacking damage -- depending on gear, probably around T8 maps. You aren't running crit, and you only have 241% increased damage from the tree.

For instance, if we compare it to something very similar, like this here

In the same number of passive points we have:
1 less jewel slot (more within easy reach)
10% less increased health (tons more within easy reach)
40 less base hp from strength (this one hurts a little bit, but instead...)
92% more increased energy shield (which more than makes up for it)
10% increased ES recharge
15% more increased area of effect
285% inc crit chance
159% increased crit multi
mana/regen is about the same (evens out)
increased spell damage is about the same
3% less fire pen (this one hurts a bit, but worth it)
no gear requirements for stats - tree covers all gem requirements

And that's not even optimized, that's just thrown together something at a glance. of course, that's going more towards a crit build, you could also do a non crit version, but the point is I don't think your tree is currently well optimized. I think you took certain routes because you had something in mind (such as going for the tireless wheel), but you've since changed gears, and it's left your tree in an odd state.

Again, not hear to nay say you, have fun how you want to have fun - I just wanted to give you fair warning that your tree may require a revamp. You can make your current tree work, certainly, it just perhaps won't be optimal, and fireball isn't exactly an s-tier skill right now, so being suboptimal with it can hurt.
"
VapidActions написал:
  • A good Doryani's - 20c
  • 6l white chest armor - 20c
  • shrieking essence of greed (or anger) -- 3c each (Use until you get decent life/res rolls - expected cost 15c)
  • If lacking fire res, Rise of the Phoenix shield -1c, else spell damage+life+resistances ES shield (anywhere from 1c - 3ex)

Rise of the phoenix is great for fire resistance, as it also increases your max fire resistance also helping more with reflect. Though a general life/res shield will outperform it, it's a good cheap option.

Searing touch isn't a great option for you. A large part of it is burning damage, which you aren't scaling. While fireball has a decent ignite chance, it's not high enough to make it worth it on your current build - your build focuses on flat damage.

I highly recommend sparing a couple talent points to pick up the 30dex by tireless, and another 30 dex by elemental overload - this will greatly help with your gearing. Requiring attributes on gear (in most cases) generally isn't a great idea, as attributes are a suffix on gear. This means they compete with resistances and damage modifiers on gear. By sacrificing a couple passive points for those attributes you win in the end by not only having an easier time gearing, but able to get more powerful gear.

For a defensive line, I recommend CWDT + Vortex + Inc Duration + Immortal Call. Warlord's mark endurance charges are going to give you good immortal call durations, vortex will slow any enemies near you that might have caused it to be triggered in the first place, and inc duration benefits both.

Honestly, I think at > 4k life, with mind over matter and warlord's mark, your defense is fine at this point (assuming your resistances are elemental weakness capped). If you're having survivability issues at this point, it's due to poor positioning - you're eating more damage than you should be.

A good build is all about balancing offense and defense, so you don't want to sacrifice too much for that defense. Looking at your tree, I see a very high investment into strength (184 strength!) normally you just need about 114 strength at most to support your gems. Warlord's mark takes a bit more, but leveling warlord's mark just grants increased chance to generate endurance charge, which isn't that useful in this application. The leech is the same at all levels, so just whatever you "can" get it to is fine enough, you don't need to worry about levels on it. And CWDT and Immortal call you won't level past level 7 CWDT, so don't need to worry about str requirements there either.

Yes, strength is going to give a bit of flat life, but you're giving up a lot of potential damage in the tree for that little bit of life. Look at your tree, you have picked up 3 damage wheels, in your entire tree, you're spreading yourself pretty thin over that tree.

I don't want to tell you how to play, please, have fun how you have fun, but I just want to warn you before you invest too heavily and find out the hard way - I think you're going to have problems with this build, I expect you're going to hit a very hard wall with lacking damage -- depending on gear, probably around T8 maps. You aren't running crit, and you only have 241% increased damage from the tree.

For instance, if we compare it to something very similar, like this here

In the same number of passive points we have:
1 less jewel slot (more within easy reach)
10% less increased health (tons more within easy reach)
40 less base hp from strength (this one hurts a little bit, but instead...)
92% more increased energy shield (which more than makes up for it)
10% increased ES recharge
15% more increased area of effect
285% inc crit chance
159% increased crit multi
mana/regen is about the same (evens out)
increased spell damage is about the same
3% less fire pen (this one hurts a bit, but worth it)
no gear requirements for stats - tree covers all gem requirements

And that's not even optimized, that's just thrown together something at a glance. of course, that's going more towards a crit build, you could also do a non crit version, but the point is I don't think your tree is currently well optimized. I think you took certain routes because you had something in mind (such as going for the tireless wheel), but you've since changed gears, and it's left your tree in an odd state.

Again, not hear to nay say you, have fun how you want to have fun - I just wanted to give you fair warning that your tree may require a revamp. You can make your current tree work, certainly, it just perhaps won't be optimal, and fireball isn't exactly an s-tier skill right now, so being suboptimal with it can hurt.

Hey again, thanks for the further help with this!
I'll kinda start from the end of your response - I know this is not an end game build, and I know I won't be able to do things like uber lab, Atziri or Shaper with it. This is not my aim for now. I have some experience with the game right now, but I'm still a fresh player (I've tried PoE 3 times, this is the 3rd and 1st one that I got to finish merciless) and I'm still learning. I was told, that single stat character would be easier to play than hybrids, so I decided to choose witch. I was told that I should go with a budget build for starting - so I went with a fireball guide I found here. Unfortunately, around lvl 70 I've read the whole thread of the guide I was following - guy that wrote it did so in about 10 minutes, and decided to move away from this build, because he died mid way through cruel.
Since then, I was looking about few different guides and tried to take something away from each one - probably that's the reason my tree is so chaotic and unorganized.
I will be looking to respec, I don't mind spending the currency because I'm still fairly fresh to the game so here's my request - you've said that the build you've linked is not optimized - could you take some time to make a optimized one? I would really appreciate that :D
I would like to probably switch to doryani + shield, but I'm a little bit concerned about the skill links - I like my Curse on Hit OoS with Warlord's and Flammability, and I'd like to keep that, and I could do so by using a 4l in gloves, but I don't know how to do the rest. I thought I'd keep Kitava with something like lvl 7 CWDT and Immortal Call, max lvl molten shell and vortex, use 4l in boots for Auras - most likely Clarity, Arctic Armour, Enlighten and maybe Haste(I'm pretty sure I don't need it, but that would be a nice addittion). Shield would have both Flame and Lightning Golems linked with Minion Life. Here's the part I'm struggling with - what I could put in Doryani's to maybe make some use out of that lvl 20 prolif? Any ideas?
Последняя редакция: Haarri. Время: 13 февр. 2017 г., 9:43:40

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация