The Frozen Pen - 400K Shaper DPS on Average Gear/ 1M DPS Endgame. Super Safe!

Welcome to my Guide to the Frozen Pen, my Frostbolt/Vortex Poet's Pen Inquisitor. Able to run all content (except reflect) on very average gear, this build really only requires 2 Poet's Pens to get started.

Character Name: TakeMeToChurch
Account name: MoonfireArt

Pros
- Very Safe (most everything is frozen immediately, due to crits)
- Mana is not an issue
- 220%+ Life on the tree
- Does NOT require a 5/6 Link. Build runs perfectly well on a 4 link (even into endgame)
- Obliterates even T15 maps
- No need for a separate Single target skill
- Great for group play
- Does not require expensive flasks/Gear
- Bisco's Viable :)
- You have become Shaper (Get the MTX)

Cons
- Relies on Quicksilver Flask for mapping
- Relies on Flame Dash for movement skill (Yuck)
- No Fortify
- Don't count on Facetanking bosses. Learn to dodge
- Cannot run elemental reflect maps

How to calculate DPS in Path of Building

Instead of using the DPS totals in PoB, we use the "Average Hit" and Multiply it by 4 for our damage skills. This is because the skills are triggered by our attacks (our attack speed is over 4) and there is a cooldown on each skill of 250 ms (4 per second max).

DPS Calculations and PoB LInks

My Current Build on Average Gear - 400K Shaper DPS

PoB LInk: https://pastebin.com/LRF1heKh

Frost Bolt = 160K DPS

Vortex = 240K DPS

DPS with GG Gear - 1M Shaper DPS

PoB LInk: https://pastebin.com/MfD5wRiX

Vortex = 400K DPS

Vortex = 600K DPS (Plus ideal gear list and Life total 6.7K)

Why not Ice Nova? It does more damage!

I am aware of the fact that Ice Nova does more DPS than Vortex, and has a larger Area. However, you cannot become Shaper without Vortex (and the Degen can help sometimes). It really comes down to personal preference.

Gem Links

In the Poet's Pens:
FrostBolt - Faster Projectiles - Controlled Destruction

We use Faster Proj mostly for Quality of life, and Controlled destruction instead of Elemental Focus so that we can still freeze. Feel free to swap in Slower Projectiles for bosses unitl you get your gear up. After that, you won't need it :)

Vortex - Elemental Focus - Concentrated Effect (all the damages)

In your chest 4-link (or anywhere else if you get a good shaper/elder item. You can use Koam's if you do :) )

Frenzy - GMP - Faster Attacks - Additional Accuracy

Frenzy gives us Frenzy Charges (for more damage and move speed), Faster Attacks helps us get over 4 attacks per second, and Additional Accuracy is vital, as we do not scale accuracy on the tree, and dex is limited. For a 5th and 6th link (Totally unnessecary), I would use Culling Strike and Power Charge on Crit (helps keep up Power Charges on Bosses)

Utility Links

Blasphemy - Assassin's Mark (can switch to Projectile Weakness if you are using Power Charge on Crit in your frenzy, but I prefer Assassisn's Mark. If you get a ring with Assassin's Mark on Hit, feel free to drop the Blasphemy entirely and go Arctic Armor for added Saftey.)

Cast When Damage Taken - Immortal Call - Phase Run (Generic defensive setup)

Flame Dash - Faster Casting (Movement)

Herald of Ice (you could also use a curse on Hit setup here for Assassin's Mark, and use Arctic Armor instead of your Blasphemy)

You should have several free links so use what makes you happy. This is a very versatile build

Ascendancy

We go Inquisitor for the Free Penetration of Elemental Resistances. The Order I went was:

Normal: Righteous Providence
Cruel: Inevitable Judgement
Merciless: Instruments of Virtue
Uber: Augury of Penitence

Gear

The only essential gear for this build is 2x Poet's Pens. I will give a Budget and a GG option for the other slots below.

Chest

Budget: Daresso's Defiance. I did fine on this for a long time on a 4-link (am still using it while I link my endgame chest)

GG: Belly of the Beast (this is a no brainer, and you can pick one up relatively cheap due to not needing a 5/6 link)

Gloves

Budget: Maligaro's Virtuosity (Good crit and Crit multi and some Attack speed, lacks defenses)

GG: Voidbringer or well-rolled Fingerless silk gloves (Rare gloves frees up other slots for uniques, see PoB Optimal Build for an example)

Boots:

Budget: 30% Move speed Rare (We NEED movement speed)

GG: Mutewind Whispersteps (Huge damage increase)

Belt

Budget: Rare Stygian Vise (OpOpie, you know)

GG: Darkness Enthroned (Only if you have 2 GG Abyss Jewels)

Helmet

Budget: Rare Helm (for resists) or Lightpoacher (helps with clear, gives us more abyss sockets)

GG: Starkonja's Head with Ice Golem Enchant (Helps with Accuracy and Crit, high life roll)

Rings and Amulets

Use these to fill in your resists. Get as much Cold Damage as you can here. Essence crafted Opal Rings or Diamond Rings would be your best bet.

Jewels

Jewels for Abyssal Sockets: Should ideally have Life, All Resists, and 2 Cold Damage to Spells Rolls

Jewels for tree: Cobalt Jewels with as much Crit multi, Spell Damage, and Cold damage as you can afford. You can also use cold damage to spells Abyss Jewels as a budget(!) option.

2 Frozen Trail jewels are mandatory.

I hope you found this guide useful. I will be updating this build periodically as I learn more about it. It has, however, gotten me to level 90 faster than any other build I have used. You can also level with these skill directly!, which is a huge help. I will try to answer any Questions propmptly, and feel free to make suggestions in the thread below

Последняя редакция: MoonfireArt. Время: 29 дек. 2017 г., 10:09:06
Last bumped2 янв. 2018 г., 5:51:43
Neat.

Wanna-be-Shaper running around would make me panic dodge friendly skills though.
I'm going to try this. I always wanted to try playing Templar but I've never found a build that'd interest me. I already have 2x Poet's Pens and I love these lil' scribes XD

One question tho: you say "able to run all content" but is it REALLY all content? Even reflect/no regen/no leech maps?
Последняя редакция: sqvirel. Время: 29 дек. 2017 г., 6:10:53
No Leach/no Regen is not an issue, as your skills still fire off of a basic attack. Just slower. Reflect is the only thing I reroll.
Looks nice, i´ll give it a try .... Hope you will update this guide over time.

Only 0,4% leech? How do you regen life when you get hit? Can't dodge everything. Did i miss something?
You use a life flask (like us old folks did back in the day) :) Since specialty flasks aren't much needed, there is room in the build for 2 life flasks. An instant heal one, and a Large heal over time one. You could also use Blood of the Karui if you can get one, they are expensive though.
Labeling the build 'super safe' and expressing that players need to 'get good' at dodge mechanics, in the cons section, followed by telling people that they need to use a life flask 'like in the old days' is really, really pretentious.

You can say that it's perfectly fine to use hp potions in your build, and you can say that learning game mechanics and moving to accommodate them is also fine. But it's really asinine to say the build is 'super safe' considering there really is no survivability built into the build, as so many other builds possess.

Just my two cents, you can re-write some of it to not come off as rude if you like. Or reasonably attribute the actual shortcomings of your build.

Cheers
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
I'm only lv 30 so far and it is the fastest build I have ever leveled. Having fun so far.
When I attack with frenzy or normal attack it seems it is only using one of the poets pen. How do I attack with both?

Edit: nevermind, I had both pens with the same skills.
Последняя редакция: xikorita. Время: 2 янв. 2018 г., 6:40:38

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация