It's official, almost 2/3 of players are on Steam

Peak day 1 concurrency of 140k according to Chris.

Steam charts show 89k for the same day.

63% of players use the Steam client.

So no more of that "Steam charts aren't representative" bullshit please, kthx.
Last bumped6 июня 2018 г., 10:43:24
How about "1 sample isn't necessarily representative"?

It gives us a decent guess of the actual percentage, sure. But it's just one day.

Also, what if they count concurrency in a different way (steam probably counts users who have loaded the game, whereas GGG likely counts users who have clicked login). Might seem like a small difference, but without any stats to know for sure I would be wary of being so certain as you seemed in the OP.

PS: Your idea to use this data was pretty clever btw. It does seem like Steam is a very significant proportion of the population.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
...but why though? What's the significance?

I, for one, bought ESO on Steam, and I regret it until this day. I can't even type my login details without logging in through Steam first.
Последняя редакция: VyersReaver. Время: 3 июня 2018 г., 8:10:45
I don't think it's strange to assume around 60% of players use steam. I personally don't but that's only because I have accessibility issues with the country I live in. Garena and all that bullshit.
I remember when marvel heroes game was dying and on forums people linked steam charts with 200 players peak in a month.

Everyone said it wasn't representative how there is plenty more players on client, then the game shutdown shortly.

Not that this is dying game or its related, but people have to accept steam as one of major platforms and it is pretty much reliable in showing some trends (reliability can be numerically expressed, and by my standards it is acceptable enough)
Spreading salt since 2006
"
鬼殺し написал:
Cherrypicking.

Day one? sure. Steam has been promoting PoE pretty hard. I expect a lot of tourists and curious casuals picking it up because its free.

But thats no proof that the same ratio will hold a week or a month from now. Since we wont know the overall number of players then, its impossible to say what the steamcharts stats mean other than how many of those 89k have stopped playing. If the other 50k or so that were not using steam are still playing in a few weeks while the steamchart shows only, say, 10k, then your claim is patently false.

The only thing that is official is your basic math skills are shit, and that is embarrassing coming from me.

Sorrynotsorry.

You kinda missed the point. The point being that the steam charts represented the majority of the playerbase on launch day. Whatever happens to those charts, it's happening to more people than not.

Also: if the Steam charts drop to 20k, we'll know that overall concurrent player numbers have dropped by at least 50%, if we assume all the other 50k are still playing. If we assume that the Steam and standalone dropoff rate is the same, then the numbers have dropped by 78%. The real number will probably be somewhere inbetween, but that's still pretty valuable information.
Yeah when judging a stat like playerbase, a number that's only 60% of the total doesn't really come close to representing it. Also like someone else said, a lot of those are probably new users who are just trying the game out.
Also Steam Client has been crashing on occasion since league started.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
For the international players anyway. The Chinese have their own client, right? I can imagine that side completely dwarfs the steam/standard client and probably will moving forward.
"
鬼殺し написал:
Had OP said '60% of PoE players at the league's launch were on steam!'...then no one would be able to disagree because the math supports that. But to extrapolate that and then run with it, making wild and frankly ridiculous claims about how that isolated statistic holds across the board, that "almost two-thirds of players are on steam" (implicitly -- at any given time) is...*shrug* I'm trying to find a word that doesn't ultimately mean 'stupid' but I just can't seem to find one.

Don't look now, but... I didn't.

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация