1 month league response to low player numbers?

What boggles my mind about these topics is that, not only do they often link to the steam data as an excuse for "game is ded", but the very data that they link to doesn't even really represent that. Let me break it down for you:

This is the one-year data for path of exile. It appears to support the notion that PoE's userbase is dying out, but this is because of two very large spikes- those spikes aren't where PoE's playerbase is, those spikes are new people showing up, looking around for a bit, and deciding they don't much care for the game that much, and people returning to the game to poke around for awhile.

If we drop that window at down to 6 months, we get a much more reasonable-looking chart.

On this chart, playerbase is about the same size right now as it was right before that big spike- this is expected, because people are expected to take breaks from path of exile, with waves of people leaving when they get a bit burned out, then returning when they see new content or leagues that interest them, or if the mood simply takes them.

I could do more graphs, but honestly, the way things go, and you can see this for yourself, when you look at the very long-term or the very short-term graphs, the more extreme the data appears to be, even when it isn't. You can't just point at the 1-year graph and scream that the game is dying and bleeding players out from every orifice. By that logic, I could post the 48 hour graph and say the game has never had more players and is entering a golden era.

TL;DR? Look at your data in detail before you make statements based on it. Based on raw numbers, steam users for PoE have been higher in the past, but the game is doing exactly what is has been doing for awhile now. Big spike in players, number dwindles down, new content- big spike in players, numbers dwindle down... When we get the August mini-expansion, player count will go back up again. And as other people have said, this is Steam's data, and is only a small portion of the whole playerbase.
Последняя редакция: HighwayWizard. Время: 13 июля 2014 г., 15:49:24
I agree, POE is indeed Dead. I'm thinking of dropping the game aswell, there is just no point. All the game is for me now is just a boss farmfest, which was fun at first, now it is just a solo grind.
"
"
5does написал:
What makes me play this game not as much as I would like to do are the standard leagues.

The league that is completely dominated by bots, chinese farmers and 24/7 trade chat lurkers and infested by overpowered legacy items.

My only motivation to keep playing this game is rolling new characters once new league starts, but whenever they're almost at their end I just feel like there is no point anymore to play them since they will roll to the trash leagues and the character might as well be dead for me.

How does all this affect you directly anyways?

And you can roll new chars in standard and hardcore, you dont need 4 month leagues for that. Neither do you understand that if you give 2 shits about bots, rmt and legacy items, they would pop up and ruin it for you even if the 4 month leagues were in fact permanent.

>How does it affect me

-If bots or chinese are inflating prices it affects me. EX: I farm 1 ex per day like any other human being, but farmers farm 100 exs per day, prices goes up, farming is not worth anymore.
-If to get the best gear avaiable I have to farm 200 exs for a legacy Kaom, guess what? That affects me, I can't min/max my characters because GGG allows overpowered items to stay instead of getting rid of them.
-If anything besides lurking the chat trade and trading the entire day is not optimal, guess what? That affects me, I am now that moron killing mobs while sitting in the chat would give way more farm.

>Rolling characters in Standard and hardcore

Why? I just gave you plenty of reason as to why I think default leagues are utter garbage.

>popping up and ruining leagues
Except that the new leagues are a fresh start so it will take years and years to make the economy as horrid as it is on Standard and Hardcore.

>permanent leagues
No, I don't want new permanent leagues, for that to happen first GGG has to actually deal with the trading x farming issue that plagues this game.
"
Shagsbeard написал:
We play a game because we like it. We don't play the game because other people like it or don't. It doesn't matter to us. Quit acting like it's important.

If it don't matter to you why are you posting in a thread about it. Sorry just had to ask :)
Shitstorm?

Yep, a shitstorm.
"
Universalis написал:
Lol this bad tongues fest :D

Here's solid data:

http://steamcharts.com/app/238960#All

Amount of players going down slowly like any other game, nothing special to say about it, yet.

Not everyone plays on steam. Myself and my friends all don't play on it so.... what are you saying?
"
"
Universalis написал:

Here's solid data:

Amount of players going down slowly like any other game, nothing special to say about it, yet.

Not everyone plays on steam. Myself and my friends all don't play on it so.... what are you saying?

No point in arguing with steam followers. Theyre blindly accepting the data provided by steam as if its the holy grail of charts about any games actual player numbers. They think everyone is using their beloved steam client which of course is not true at all.
"
Shagsbeard написал:
What's likely to happen, IF support for the game falters, is that GGG goes on support and cuts development. We don't know how much it costs to run a game like this. We don't know how much they currently make. All of this talk about "PoE dying" is pure speculation.

It's not speculation. It's simply a hypothesis based on the data available to the public. That's all we can work with, since GGG refuses to give player info to anyone.
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
"
"
"
Universalis написал:

Here's solid data:

No point in arguing with steam followers. Theyre blindly accepting the data provided by steam as if its the holy grail of charts about any games actual player numbers. They think everyone is using their beloved steam client which of course is not true at all.

It's still a step better than these "hurr, only 1/10 players are on Steam" claims that have no evidence whatsoever behind them. It's like they think the lack of data from GGG automatically discounts data from other sources--it doesn't. You use what data is available until better data comes along and confirms/denies the initial data. That's basic logic, and a simple scientific principle. If you have no data or actual evidence to support your ideas about what ratio of players use Steam, YOU ARE IN NO POSITION to make those claims.

By the way, basic debate protocols dictate that the burden of proof now lies with you, and those who share your position, so ante up.
saw many threads like this since last year.

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация