[3.11] ShakCentral's Vortex For Dummies

A Reference for the Rest of Us!

Do you hate having to choose between high damage builds and ones with great defenses? Do you want a single build that can take on deep delves and still crush Awakener 8 Sirus? This guide is your stop for all things Vortex. Whether you want a character easily geared in SSF, a safe boss killer, or just a build that deals constant damage with maneuverability, you'll find what you need inside!

Discover how to:

✔️ Level quickly in a new league and transition to Vortex cheaply

✔️ Craft your own gear and save a lot of $$

✔️ Adjust your build for delving and take on that deep content

✔️ Make bosses a joke while avoiding all of their moves

...and more!

Current comments/updates for 3.11 start on page 112 of the comments.

If you have questions about Vortex or just want to hang out with PoE players, my Discord is very active and is a good place to hang out and learn: https://discord.gg/tkzCFtN. PLEASE read the guide first!

Foreword
Скрытый текст

My Other Guides

The first guide in the "For Dummies" series was Tornado Shot For Dummies. It's more than a little outdated, but you can still check it out!

This guide is an overhaul of my first guide on Vortex, which can be viewed here.

About the Author

I began playing Path of Exile in 2013. After a several years on and off the game, I returned to PoE around 2017 and have been playing regularly since. I streamed Path of Exile content for a while on Twitch, especially my participation in the “Kammell” races in 2018/19, and after an extended break while my family began foster care, I have returned to streaming recently and hope to continue doing so. I love writing, and am excited to contribute to the community in this way.

I enjoy playing spell builds and fondly remember the days of clearing Merciless Dried Lake with Vaal Spark in 30 seconds flat.

Dedication

As always, to Enki, whose Arc guide inspires me in my content creation, writing, and dedication to the game. ❤️❤️❤️

Why Make A Vortex Guide?

As mentioned at the start, this actually isn't my first Vortex guide. I really love the skill, and it has been one of my favorite builds since 3.5. Although Occultist was nerfed pretty hard, the build is still top tier and I was happy to return to it. I've redone the guide multiple times, as much of the skill tree and items have changed since the original guide.

My goal is for this guide to be the one-stop-shop for all things Vortex. Whether you're playing CI or Low Life, this is the place for you.

Table of Contents
Скрытый текст

Part 1: Introduction to Vortex
 1.1 - How Does A Vortex Build Work?
 1.2 - Why Vortex? Why Occultist?
 1.3 - The Pros & Cons of Vortex
 1.4 - Path of Building (PoB) Code
 1.5 - Videos

Part 2: Leveling
 2.1 - Leveling With No Gear
 2.2 - Leveling With "Twink" Gear
 2.3 - Full Leveling Guide
 2.4 - Leveling Guide Summary
 2.5 - Live Item Searches
 2.6 - Shak's Loot Filter

Part 3: Playing Vortex (3.1-3.5 is 3A; 3.6-3.8 is 3B)
 3.1 - Wintertide Brand, Important Mechanics, and League-Specific Resources
 3.2 - Gem Links
 3.3 - Flasks & Immunities
 3.4 - Ascendancy, Bandits, and Pantheon Powers
 3.5 - All Things Jewels
 3.6 - Assembling Your Early Mapping Gear
 3.7 - When, Where, and How to take Chaos Innoculation
 3.8 - The Ultimate End-Game: Low-Life Vortex

Part 4: The Part of Tens
 4.1 - Ten Cheap Uniques That Can Substitute For Expensive Gear
 4.2 - Ten TV Shows to Watch While Deep Delving
 4.3 - Ten Builds To Play If You Need A Break From Vortex

Part 5: FAQ, Index, And Changelog
 5.1 - Frequently Asked Questions
 5.2 - Index
 5.3 - Changelog

Part 1: Introduction to Vortex

Скрытый текст

1.1 - How Does A Vortex Build Work?

Скрытый текст

How Do the Main Gems Work?

Vortex is an instant cast spell. It deals an initial hit (important to remember it hits) of Cold Damage in a circle centered on the caster's feet and then leaves behind that circle on the ground, dealing Cold Damage Over Time.

A few notes about the mechanics of Vortex:

1. Instant cast means that casting does not interrupt your character's movement.

2. The Vortex is created at the feet of the caster and stays in that location.

3. Vortex applies increases to your spell damage to its Damage Over Time.

4. The Frostbolt interaction with Vortex can be ignored. This build does not utilize it.

Cold Snap is similar to Vortex. It also deals an initial hit of Cold Damage and leaves behind a circle of Cold Damage Over Time.

The main differences from Vortex are:

1. Cold Snap has a cast time.

2. Cold Snap is targeted; you choose where to place it.

3. Cold Snap has a chance to generate frenzy charges on kill. Cold Snap also has a cooldown that can be bypassed by spending a frenzy charge.

4. Cold Snap has a Vaal skill version. When the Vaal version is activated, it creates a massive circle of Cold Damage at the caster's feet and then follows the caster around for a few seconds. It deals very high damage and generates guaranteed frenzy charges on kill as opposed to Cold Snap's mere % chance. The Vaal version can be cast after stacking up enough souls from killing enemies and then has a short cooldown.

How Do You Build Around Vortex?

The ideas behind this build are simple concepts, but with a high degree of flexibility. The main pillar of the build is that Vortex has incredibly high DPS "uptime", as explained below.

DPS Uptime is my term for the percentage of time during a fight when enemies are taking damage. You will often see melee builds on the forum claiming things like "10 MILLION DPS BOSS CRUSHER!" Here's the thing - if you can do 10 million DPS, that's great. But as soon as you have to Leap Slam to safety, you're at 0 million DPS. When you stop attacking to Warcry, you're at 0 million DPS. Nearly all builds take time "off" from damaging to dodge, use cooldowns, etc. This brings their actual DPS significantly lower than you could be led to believe.

Vortex is full damage, all the time. Vortex hits its full damage immediately at instant speed. Once Cold Snap has been cast, simply refreshing the skills on cooldown is enough to keep them doing full damage indefinitely. What do we do with all of our time then? We block, we move, we Flame Dash, etc. All this while maintaining our full DPS on the mob always.

Vortex builds want to do 3 things, none of which require extensive game knowledge or complicated calculations:

1. Vortex wants to stack Spell Damage, Damage over Time, and Cold Damage to deal high damage to enemies in an area.

2. Vortex wants to stack Energy Shield and other defensive layers to become as tanky as possible while near melee range.

3. Vortex wants to utilize curses, freeze and chill ailments, and manual dodging to the greatest extent possible to neutralize enemies and stay safe.

A full Vortex build goes through 3 stages in its lifetime, although some people prefer the Chaos Innoculation version and never switch to Low-Life. While the first 2-3 stages do not have any required uniques, be sure to save up your passive respec points and any Orbs of Regret that you find.

Stage 1: Leveling and early post-Act 10. A hybrid Life and Energy Shield build.

Stage 2: The CI transition. After accumulating needed gear, the build shifts to Chaos Inoculation to become immune to Chaos Damage and rely solely on a large pool of Energy Shield.

Stage 3: The build leaves Chaos Inoculation in favor of a low-life build with Shavronne's Wrappings. This build has both the highest possible damage and defensive utility and is insanely strong when maximized.

1.2 Why Vortex? Why Occultist?

Скрытый текст
Quality of Life

Vortex makes a strong case for being the best all-around build in the game. While the ultra-fast gameplay of Ice Shot can be fun and rewarding, it can also be very squishy and prohibitively expensive to break into. Vortex is very good at turning the game's toughest content into a manageable and enjoyable experience with gear that can be as much as 100% self-crafted.

Gear Requirements and SSF

Good news: there are no specific gear requirements. There are uniques that make the build better, and some are obviously required for the expensive min-max Low Life variant of the build. However, Vortex can be played into maps in all self-crafted blue (Magic) gear. You can play the CI version of the build in SSF very comfortably. I've demonstrated in the past that the build can achieve 4500+ ES, capped res, and 65-75k Vortex DPS (Not counting Cold Snap) in all blue/magic self-crafted gear.

Vortex vs Melee Skills

Vortex's advantage over melee skills is in its defenses and DPS uptime. Where melee builds constantly switch between attack and movement, Vortex has constant DoT dps while never having to stop moving. It can be actively finding a safe position while damaging the enemy and keeping them cursed.

Vortex vs Ranged Skills

Vortex will never compete with the speed of a clearing build like Ice Shot, but it more than makes up for it with survivability and bossing ability. Vortex is a rare build that needs no gem, gear, or build swapping to do all content from T1 maps, to Atziri, to Sirus, to deep delves. Its survivability in comparison to ranged classes is laughably superior.

Vortex vs Other Spell Skills

Vortex is the king of survivable spellcasters. Its combination of curses, ailments, and Energy Shield stacking allows it to cruise through trash mobs and take down bosses in ways that most spellcasters cannot. It may not have the absolute highest DPS of any spell build, but it can dish out its damage and survive to tell the tale.

The Cage Match : Occultist vs Trickster

I've had a large number of people ask me whether they should play Occultist over Trickster. As this is an Occultist guide, it should be obvious what I prefer. However, Trickster does have some benefits:

Trickster has more Quality of Life options. Constant bits of ES/life recovery, more cast speed, more evasion, on kill effects, etc.

In addition, some end-game Tricksters achieve Pain Attunement, not through Shavronne's Wrappings, but by the interaction between Coward's Legacy and Atziri's Reflection, allowing you to be unaffected by your self-cursing and achieve Pain Attunement.

Occultist has more defenses, access to more % ES on the tree, as well as some Shield-based nodes and greater emphasis on curses. Trickster will take more damage, dipping lower more often but recovering constantly. Occultists take damage very smoothly, with curses helping mitigate incoming damage and allow ES time to recharge.

NOTE: If you are interested in using Wintertide Brand as both a clearing and bossing option, i.e. a 1 skill build, try out Trickster. The cast speed increases paired with a Holy Conquest Cluster Jewel will allow you to clear and boss efficiently.

If I was racing in a softcore setting and had to play Vortex, I might take Trickster. I would use Occultist for everything else.

1.3 The Pros & Cons of Vortex

Скрытый текст
Pros

One of the safest builds in the game.
Can do nearly all content and easily farm Sirus
Damage Over Time cannot be reflected, so you can do Reflect maps by Vortexing at your feet and pulling mobs into the DoT or with Wintertide Brand
Can reach 11-12k ES, 1-2 million DPS on Vortex alone, and a dizzying array of defensive layers

Cons

Can't do all map mods easily. No regen is not possible, and Ele reflect is doable but slow.
Not a god-tier clearing build (though you can still go fast if you get good with Cold Snap placement)
Does not have truly infinite scaling like some attack builds
Can't clear Hall of Grandmasters

1.4 Path of Building (PoB) Code

Скрытый текст

Unless you really know what you're doing, do not just yoink the PoB and leave! Vortex is incredibly flexible and open to your own skill tree and gem interpretations, but as you get more specific in uniques and playstyle, the tree options tighten up a lot.

PoB : https://pastebin.com/KH8zyRQv

A couple of quick notes:

- Since 3.11, a lot of people have been reporting error code "302" when importing PoBs. This happens when Pastebin flags the code as potential spam. If that happens to you, just go to the actual link and cope the larger full code into the left-side import window in PoB.

- The most common request I get in my DMs across Reddit, this forum, and Discord is a request for specialized trees. If you're an advanced enough player to modify the tree and/or gear and come up with your own thing that is more tanky or does more damage, that's awesome! However, this guide and PoB is meant to be specifically aimed at getting people into the build at a ground-floor level, with some options to scale it up. Vortex is flexible enough that you can modify the build quite a lot, but I've gotten over 75 requests for different skill trees in the last 2 leagues. I encourage experimentation and development, but the main guide will continue with 1 CI tree and 1 LL tree.

1.5 Videos

Скрытый текст

Part 2: Leveling

Скрытый текст

2.1 Leveling With No gear

Скрытый текст
        If you are new to Path of Exile and/or starting with thousands of other players in a new league, you're starting with no items and no currency. Luckily for you, the build requires nothing to get going and is absurdly cheap even if you're switching to CI. Don't worry about unique items! My biggest recommendation is simply to save as much currency as possible for future crafting. Just move down a couple of sections and start with the Full Leveling Guide. Take your time and enjoy!

2.2 Leveling with "Twink Gear"

Скрытый текст

There are a few unique items that will allow you to truly zoom through the leveling process. If you want to twink your character and get to maps ASAP, slap these bad boys on and crush everything.

2.3 Full Leveling Guide

Скрытый текст

The full leveling guide for Vortex can be viewed here. This allows me to host future leveling guides for other builds in one place and reduces the character count for this guide.

2.4 Leveling Guide Summary 

Скрытый текст

Passive Tree

Here is the full tree for leveling. See the full leveling guide for a section-by-section breakdown.

Gems

This is ripped straight from the full leveling guide:

- Vortex + Efficacy + Elemental Focus + Hypothermia

- (Vaal) Cold Snap + Efficacy + Elemental Focus + Bonechill

- Wintertide Brand + Efficacy + Elemental Focus + Controlled Destruction

- Malevolence, Skitterbots

- Orb of Storms + Onslaught + Increased Critical Strikes (For triggering Elemental Overload on bosses)

- Flame Dash + Arcane Surge + Second Wind

2.5 Live Item Searches

Скрытый текст

To use this section in a new league, do the following:

1. Click on the link of the gear you want to live search.
        2. To the right of the search bar, change the league to the current temporary league.
        3. Click the live search button on the left side.

This process is illustrated in the following (professionally commissioned) image:

Leveling Gear

Wanderlust

Goldrim

Lifesprig

Lochtonial Caress

Uniques

Axiom Perpetuum

Tabula Rasa

Cheap Humility Div Cards (1.5c or less)

Rares

30% MS Boots with 50+ Resists

5c or less ring with 120+ resists

2.6 Shak's Loot Filter

Скрытый текст
I've had a bunch of people asking about a loot filter for progressing with the build. Click here to download my extremely personalized loot filter from dropbox. There are a total of 510 changes from the base Neversink filter that are mostly related to leveling and spellcasters. It's a zipped file that contains 6 strictness versions as well as over 2 dozen custom-made sound files with currency and colored link voiceovers. Every file in the zipped folder needs to be placed in your loot filter folder. Check out the Twitch VODs of me leveling the Vortex build for a video previews.

NOTE: Neversink recently tweeted that he expects to do a large overhaul on Filterblade for 3.12. Be aware that this loot filter may not exist after the Filterblade overhaul. Here's hoping!

Part 3A: Playing Vortex

Скрытый текст

3.1 - Wintertide Brand, Important Mechanics, And League-Specific Resources

Скрытый текст

Wintertide Brand

Скрытый текст
Harvest League (3.11) introduced Wintertide Brand (WT), a new Cold Damage Over Time spell. A lot of people were very excited about WT after the damage numbers reveal. It looked like it would be a highly damaging single target skill, and I tested it as such along with many other players.

Unfortunately, WT has not quite turned out to be a good fit with Vortex Occultist. The main issue isn't the damage, it's the casting. Unless you invest heavily into Brand-specific nodes, Wintertide Brand requires near constant casting to maintain. As discussed in previous sections (and continuing through the rest of the guide), one of the main draws to Vortex is its ability to keep dealing its full damage while being highly mobile on the battlefield. Wintertide Brand nearly negates this advantage with the need to constantly cast it to maintain high DPS. Pausing when you're in melee range to cast a spell that deals damage over a longer time period is a good way to get yourself killed repeatedly.

Wintertide Brand isn't a bad skill. However, Trickster (and maybe Inquisitor/Heirophant) are significantly better positioned to take advantage of its strengths through Cast Speed and a higher focus on using it as a main skill. If you want to play a lot of Wintertide Brand, I highly recommend checking out a Trickster version of a Cold DoT build.

Glancing Blows

Скрытый текст
Glancing Blows is a keystone passive skill with the following text:

- Chance to Block Attack Damage is doubled

- Chance to Block Spell Damage is doubled

- You take 50% of Damage from Blocked Hits

Glancing Blows is quickly becoming one of the strongest aspects of playing a Vortex Occultist. It is the ultimate damage smoother. It allows you to manage your incoming damage much more easily and prevents many potential one-shots. We already plan on getting a shield and a Rumi's concoction, so we hit the block cap of 75% without needing to take unnecessary items as well. If you decide not to use a Prism Guardian, you can get a shield that recovers a % of your Energy Shield on block and become nearly immortal with Glancing Blows.

Elemental Equilibrium

Скрытый текст
This is by far my most asked about build piece. Elemental Equilibrium says "Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% Resistance to those Elements and -50% Resistance to other Elements". They key word is "hit". Here's how this works for Vortex:

Step 1: Get a weapon with the mod "Trigger a socketed spell whenever you use a skill" (The process is described below). Once you have this mod on your weapon, take EE on the tree.

Step 2: Roll 3 blue sockets on your weapon (don't have to be linked), and place Storm Brand, Frost Bomb, and Orb of Storms into these sockets.

Step 3: Kill everything.

Once you have EE and this mod, every time you do anything, either Storm Brand, Orb of Storms, or Frost Bomb will be cast automatically. If Storm Brand or Orb of Storms is cast, they will hit enemies repeatedly with lightning damage, constantly ensuring that enemies have -50% to their Cold Resistance. If Frost Bomb is cast, there is a delay before it detonates. During this time, Frost Bomb reduces enemy Cold Resistance even further. Once Frost Bomb hits, Storm Brand or Orb of Storms will still be going off, meaning that the cold hit of Frost Bomb is almost immediately overridden with a fresh -50 cold res.

So the overall progression is as follows:

-Cast Vortex/Cold Snap. Enemies have +25% Cold Res from the hit. Not good.

-Storm Brand casts and begins hitting. Enemies in the Vortex/CS DoT effect now have -50 Cold Res. Very good.

-Cast Vortex/Cold Snap. Enemies have +25% Cold Res for a fraction of a second, but Storm Brand resets this to -50. Very good.

-OoS casts and begins hitting. Enemies in the Vortex/CS DoT effect continue to have -50 Cold Res. Very good.

-Cast Vortex/Cold Snap. Enemies have +25% Cold Res for a fraction of a second, but Storm Brand/OoS resets this to -50. Very good.

-Frost Bomb casts. Enemies in its area have a total of -75% Cold Res. Frost Bomb explodes, and enemies have +25% Cold Res for a fraction of a second, but Storm Brand/OoS resets this to -50. Very good.

Repeat.

"Trigger a Socketed Spell When You Use a Skill" and how to get it

Скрытый текст
If you can find someone in a trade league that has unlocked this crafting option, they can craft it for you if you trust them. My Discord is also a good place to find friendly people with the craft. However, if you are SSF or need to do this yourself, here's what you need to do:

- As far as I can tell from PoEDB, you must obtain Veiled weapons that are item level 75 or higher. This is achieved by running Jun master missions at a map tier of 8 or higher.

- Run her missions, acquire weapons, and start unveiling. Eventually, you will find the mod "Trigger a Socketed Spell When You Use a Skill".

- Do this once, and you'll probably be upset to learn that it needs to be unveiled 3x before you unlock it as a crafting options.

- Continue accumulating and unveiling weapons and celebrate with a stiff drink once it's unlocked.

Harvest League 3.11
Скрытый текст

Storage-Focused Garden. Here is the cabling/linking for this layout

Max T1 Growing Garden

Planning to update this with additional crafting info once the new crafting update is put out by GGG.

3.2 Gem Links

Скрытый текст

Vortex

Vortex - Efficacy - Hypothermia - Elemental Focus - Controlled Destruction - Swift Affliction

Vaal Cold Snap

Vaal Cold Snap - Bonechill - Efficacy - Controlled Destruction - Hypothermia

NOTE: If you are wearing Rimze Gaze or a generic helmet, Hypothermia is your 4th link. If you have a helmet with "Socketed gems are supported by Hypothermia", then use Controlled Destruction as your 4th.

Wand Gems

Orb of Storms - Frost Bomb - Storm Brand

Movement Skill

Flame Dash - Arcane Surge lvl 6)

NOTE: There are 2 links available in your Flame Dash gear. See below for what to fill them with, as the CI and LL versions do different things with them.

Chaos Innoculation (CI) Links

Gloves: Blasphemy - Frostbite - Malevolence - Enlighten

NOTE: If you don't have an Enlighten lvl 3 and all of the required - mana reservation nodes, you will likely not have enough mana to reserve everything. If you run out of room, you can swap out Malevolence for Summon Skitterbots until you get the needed pieces. You'll lose about 6-9% DPS but gain 15% more unreserved mana.

Shield: Cast When Damage Taken lvl 1 - Immortal Call lvl 3 - Increased Duration

Flame Dash Item: Second Wind (Socket with Flame Dash - Vaal Discipline (unsocketed)

Low-Life (LL) Links

Gloves: Blasphemy - Frostbite - Temporal Chains - Vaal Discipline

Flame Dash Item: Cast When Damage Taken lvl 1 - Immortal Call lvl 3 Item links should be B-B//R-R

If Your shield is Prism Guardian: Zealotry - Malevolence - Hatred

If Your Shield isn't Prism Guardian: Malevolence - Blood Magic - Clarity (highest usable level)

3.3 Flasks & Immunities

Скрытый текст

Flasks are a huge part of PoE. Immunities are a huge part PoE. Luckily, you can get a lot of your immunities on your flasks!

Vortex builds use their flasks and immunities to become even tankier and reduce any chance of missing DPS Uptime.

Flasks

The desired 5 flasks for Vortex are as follows: Rumi's Concoction Granite Flask (Unique), Cinderswallow Urn Silver Flask (Unique), a Quicksilver Flask, a Quartz Flask, and a Basalt flask. Optional/niche flasks will be further below.

- Rumi's Concoction is an incredible flask. Tons of armor and block are exactly what we want, and with a shield, Rumi's, and Glancing Blows allocated, it's almost impossible not to be block capped.

- Cinderswallow Urn is expensive, but its effectiveness is legendary. You are nearly immortal while this flask is active. The ES recovery is amazing, and if you can pick up an movement speed unveil, you'll never go back to different flask.

- A Quicksilver flask is essential to your sanity and safety. Moving at a high rate of speed helps you dodge attacks, move between packs quickly, and maintain flask charges.

- A Quartz flask makes Vortex fully functional. Being able to Vortex in the actual center of a pack is a huge boon to the build, and it would feel awful to go without one.

- A Basalt flask further amplifies the effect of the Rumi's armour. It gives us more phys reduction, and another base on which to put an immunity.

Other options for viable flasks include Sulphur, Jade, and the Witchfire Brew unique.

Immunities

Immunities in Path of Exile are a big, big deal. Bleeding will kill you in a second. Being frozen is death. Poison and Ignite prevent ES recharge. Curses make you worse at everything. Shock just negates the benefit of your defenses and gets your face pounded in.

Some are more impactful than others, but overall you want to be immune to as many status ailments and negative effects as possible. Let's look at how.

Immunity to:

- Freeze and Chill: Our ascendancy makes us immune to Freeze and Chill!

- Stun: While leveling and as Chaos Innoculation, Vile Bastion provides stun immunity. Once we swap to Low-Life, we get it from Presence of Chayula amulet.

- Bleed: Early on and potentially through your entire character's life, you will get your bleed immunity from the flask suffix "__ Of Staunching". In the late-game, you can Vaal jewels or buy one to get the "Cannot be Inflicted With Corrupting Blood" implicit. These can be expensive but well worth it.

- Curses: Roll a flask to get the "__ Of Warding" suffix. Very important for higher tier maps.

- Shock: Shock immunity can be achieved through the flask suffix "__ of Grounding". If you have 2 unique flasks, this would be the final immunity I put on my 3rd non-unique flask.

- Ignite: You can roll the "__ of Dousing" suffix or take care of this via Pantheon power.

- Poison: You can roll the "__ of Curing" suffix or take care of this via Pantheon power.

3.4 - Ascendancy, Bandits, and Pantheons

Скрытый текст

Ascendancy

Normal Lab - If your survivability is good and you want damage to push faster, you can take Void Beacon. If you're a little squishier, Vile Bastion gives you a ton of survivability.

Cruel Lab - Take what you didn't take in Normal Lab, Void Beacon or Vile Bastion.

Merc Lab - Take Frigid Wake. Tons of utility and our Freeze/Chill immunity. Hugely beneficial ascendancy.

Uber Lab - take Profane Bloom. The explosions help with damage, but applying curses to hexproof enemies is the real benefit here.

Bandit Reward

Our endgame plan is to kill the Bandits. The passive points are very important, and we gain very little overall from the 3 other options.

However, helping Alira while leveling can be extremely beneficial. The resists and mana regen are very valuable early on. If you help Alira, you can later trade 20 Regret Orbs and an Onyx Amulet to Eramir in the Act 2 town to have your reward set to the +2 skill points.

Pantheon Powers

Major: Solaris is the go-to here, as trash mobs don't pose a threat, and will help more against high health bosses. Lunaris is an option for clear speed.

Minor: Garukhan and Gruthkul are great for smoothing of incoming damage. Abberath is helpful, as burning ground is a problem for ES. Shakari is an option for low-life builds that are concerned about Chaos damage.

3.5 All Things Jewels

Скрытый текст

Unique Jewels

Скрытый текст
Intuitive Leap

Intuitive Leap is awesome. It saves a lot of passive points by allowing you to allocate passives in its circle without needing them to be attached to your other passives. This lets us pick up the 3 notables highlighted below and save 5 points pathing to them.

Energy From Within

EFW is a great jewel for the combination life/ES nodes on the tree. If you have one, socket it here:

Very Large Thread of Hope

(Note this picture was from when Wintertide Brand was being used. Ignore the Runebinder allocation in the top left). If you're not familiar with Thread of Hope, try not to be overwhelmed by this picture. I'll explain below:

Thread of Hope comes in 1 of 4 possible sizes. For this build, pretend that Small/Medium/Large Threads don't exist. We're only interested in a Very Large Thread of Hope, the radius of which is indicated by the purple circle in the picture.

Then Thread of Hope is socketed, any passives in its circle can be allocated without being connected to your tree. This is relevant for us to pick up our big winner:

Glancing Blows! Glancing Blows doubles both your attack and spell block chance, with the downside that you take 50% of the damage from blocked hits. This allows us to smooth out our incoming damage to an incredibly consistent degree, and will nearly always leave you block capped at 75% with a shield and Rumi's Concoction.

Watcher's Eye

Watcher's Eye has randomly assigned mods that grant bonus effects based on auras that the player has equipped. If you can get your hands on a Watcher's Eye, here are some good mods to look for:

-ANY "while affected by Clarity" mod except for "% of Damage taken from Mana before Life while affected by Clarity"
        -ANY "while affected by Discipline" mod except for "+# Energy Shield gained for each Enemy Hit while affected by Discipline"
        -ANY "while affected by Malevolence" mod except for "Damaging Ailments you inflict deal Damage #% faster while affected by Malevolence"

Normal Jeweling

Скрытый текст
Vortex can use Cobalt regular jewels or Searching Eye abyss jewels. Best jewel corruptions: Corrupted Blood cannot be inflicted on you, Increased Area of Effect, Increased Damage, 1% Reduced Mana Reserved

Cobalt mods to look for:

-Spell damage while holding a Shield
        -Increased Cold Damage
        -Maximum Energy Shield
        -Chance to Block Attack/Spell Damage while holding a Shield
        -Faster start of Energy Shield Recharge (HUGELY BENEFICIAL; BEST STAT)
        -Energy Shield Recharge Rate
        -Spell Damage
        -Damage over Time
        -Area Damage
        -% Chance to Freeze and Freeze Duration
        -Cold Damage over Time Multiplier

Searching Eye mods to look for:

-Damage over Time while holding a Shield
        -Maximum Energy Shield
        -Increased Effect of Chill
        -% Chance to Block Spell Damage / Attack Damage if you were Damaged by a Hit Recently
        -Increased Movement Speed if you haven't taken Damage recently or if you've killed recently
        -Damage Penetrates #% Elemental Resistance if you haven't killed recently
        -% Chance to Gain Onslaught or Phasing on kill

Cluster Jewels

Скрытый текст
Cluster jewels have gone through a significant nerf after their introduction in 3.10. BE warned; it is now SIGNIFICANTLY harder to roll some of the best Notables for our build. However, if you manage to get your hands on some good cluster jewels, their added utility and power level is unmatched.

Sizing

Cluster Jewels come in 3 sizes: Large, Medium, and Small. For Vortex, you can sell off your Large clusters. What you're looking for are Medium and cluster Jewels with the implicit enchantment "+4% to Cold Damage over Time Multiplier". Note that the generic "+4 to Damage over Time" cluster jewels have completely different notables that can roll, and it is not a good substitute. For Small cluster Jewels, you want the implicit "% Increased Maximum Energy Shield". Mediums will also have 4-6 passive skills, and Smalls will have 2-3.

Rolling Medium Jewels

For your Medium cluster jewels, you're looking for explicit mods:
        - 1 Added Passive Skill is a Jewel Socket
        - At least 1 good notable skill.

Good notable skills for jewels are ranked as follows in approximate power:

- Brush with Death: +10% to Damage over Time Multiplier, Recover 1% of Life on Kill, Recover 1% of Energy Shield on Kill
        - Vile Reinvigoration: 24% increased Damage over Time, 6% increased maximum Energy Shield, Regenerate 2% of Energy Shield per second if you’ve Killed an Enemy Recently
        - Deep Chill: +10% to Cold Damage over Time Multiplier, 30% increased Effect of Chill
        - Brewed for Potency: 24% increased Damage over Time, 20% increased Life and Mana Recovery from Flasks, 10% increased Flask Charges gained
        - Circling Oblivion: 25% increased Damage over Time, 25% increased Duration of Ailments on Enemies
        - Flow of Life: 24% increased Damage over Time, 4% increased maximum Life, Regenerate 0.6% of Life per second(Only take if you have Zealot's Oath)
        - Blast-Freeze: 20% increased Cold Damage, Freezes you inflict spread to other Enemies within a Radius of 12
        - Exposure Therapy: +10% to Damage over Time Multiplier, +30% Chaos Resistance against Damage Over Time

Brush with Death and Vile Reinvigoration are A+ and you should ALWAYS keep them. Deep Chill is the only notable other than BwD with DoT Multi and is just a slight step below the others. The rest are acceptable, but not optimal.

Rolling Small Jewels

For your Small cluster jewels, you're looking for good notable skills.

Good notable skills for jewels are ranked as follows in approximate power:

- Brush with Death: +10% to Damage over Time Multiplier, Recover 1% of Life on Kill, Recover 1% of Energy Shield on Kill
        - Vile Reinvigoration: 24% increased Damage over Time, 6% increased maximum Energy Shield, Regenerate 2% of Energy Shield per second if you’ve Killed an Enemy Recently
        - ANY of the Energy Shield specific notables
        - Self-Control

Nearly all of the notables on small cluster jewels with an ES implicit are good. Go nuts!

Vortex For Dummies: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661120
Последняя редакция: ShakCentral. Время: 22 июля 2020 г., 0:34:00
Last bumped on 11 авг. 2020 г., 22:30:41

Part 3B: The Full Vortex

Скрытый текст

3.6 - Assembling Your Early Mapping Gear

Скрытый текст
Kitava is dead, and the game has actually begun. Now what?

The great thing about Vortex is that you can progress enough to take down Awakener Level 8 Sirus in all self-crafted gear. Unless/until you decide to go all the way to the Low-Life version of the build, there are literally Z E R O required unique items. So how do you get there? Let's take it step by step. Our first goal is to be able to get into maps (PoE's endgame) comfortably and effectively. Here's how to do it:

Phase 1: Item Acquisition

Скрытый текст

Click anywhere on this sentence to download a loot filter made specifically for farming early mapping gear for Vortex.

• Place the loot filter in your filter folder and make it your active filter in-game. Take the Waypoint for the Ravaged square in Act 10 and enter the Ossuary.

• Start farming laps around the Ossuary square. When you get back to the door, reset the zone and go again. Pick up the normal items and currency that you already would, but be on the lookout for these:

Скрытый текст

Pick up all of these ugly looking highlighted items. These are either the highest couple of item bases for Energy Shield items, resistance rings, or Dex/Str amulets.

• Run levels around the Ossuary until you have 2 of each highlighted item type (2 wands, 2 helmets, etc) and at least 4 rings. Note: Make sure you get 2 wands and 2 shields. You should be swapping to a shield right around the end of the story.

Once this is complete, you have all of the items you'll need to get mapping until you can make the commitment to Chaos Inoculation! Head back to your hideout and let's get to work.

Phase 2: Gear Assessment

Скрытый текст
Take a few minutes and look at your current gear (the gear you are wearing from completing the Acts). Determine if any of the gear is usable for a while. You're looking for high life rolls, Energy shield rolls, and multiple elemental resists. As an example, in SSF Harvest League, I found this insane pair of gloves in Act 7 of the campaign:

I was able to use those gloves all the way until my transition to Chaos Inoculation. Look at your gear and see if there are any rares that could be useful for a while. Usable rares can save you quite a bit of early crafting currency.

Phase 3: Gear Crafting

Скрытый текст

Once you've determined what items remain for you to craft, get out the LOWEST level base from the 2 items of each type that you farmed from the Ossuary. You'll be working on them in this order (skipping any that you have a rare for):

• Body Armour > Wand > Shield > Helmet & Gloves > Boots > Belt > Amulet > Both Rings

For the upcoming crafting, pay close attention to the current PoE league and see if there is a way to craft more deterministically or simply using the league mechanic. In the current Harvest league, crafting usable rares is absurdly simple with the league mechanic. Your crafting methods should go in this order:

• League mechanic if applicable
• Mid/high tier Essences (If you have Scouring Orbs)
• Transmute/Alt/Aug/Regal

If the league mechanic and your essences don't do you any favors, you'll need to take matters into your own hands. You'll be using Orbs of Transmutation to turn your white items into blues, and then using Orbs of Alteration and Augmentation to hunt for desired mods. For reference below, here's what I mean if I say "roll for ES" or "roll for resists":

• Roll for ES: An Energy Shield roll (+# to Maximum Energy Shield or % increased Energy Shield) of middle of tier 4 or better.
• Roll for resists: An elemental resistance roll (#% Fire/Cold/Lightning Resistance) of middle of tier 3 or better.

Body Armour : The most important thing is to 5-link your Armour ASAP. 4 links are acceptable for very early mapping, but a minimum of a 5-link is essential quickly.

Beyond that, you're looking to maximize your ES. Roll for a huge ES mod if possible, and look for a Resist suffix. Body Armour is a great item to Regal to rare and add either another ES mod or a resist.

Wand : I'll do a more in-depth look at wand mods in the Chaos Inoculation section. For now, look for a good prefix mod. You're ideally looking for one of the following: 50%+ increased Spell or Cold Damage, 24% or higher Cold Damage over Time multiplier, or +1 to Spell or Cold skill gems. Another good target to Regal Orb and craft damage on.

Shield : Roll for ES and resists. Shields can naturally hit % Increased Spell or Cold Damage and +1 to Cold skill gems, and those are also acceptable if you get them.

Helmet & Gloves : Roll for ES and resists. We'll worry about the nasty stuff like Hypothermia/-9% resist helmets and Cold DoT Multi gloves in the next section.

Boots : Roll for decent Movement Speed if you can handle the ES hit. You'll want to be as mobile and fast as possible. Then go for resists with the suffix. Good target for Regal Orb if you hit 25% or more Movement Speed.

Belt : ES and Strength. Try to get a decent 30 or higher roll on Strength as a much-needed attribute boost and then get an ES roll for the prefix

Rings : Roll your rings to fill out your resists and attributes. The most important thing they do is to help cap resists. Don't be afraid to Regal Orb to chase Dex or resists.

Amulet : Amulets are the wild card. They can roll flat ES, % max ES, Spell Damage, Str / Dex, resists, and % cold damage. You can roll them before or after rings, but keep in mind the need to cap resists and go from there with whatever you need most.

Budget Anointments

Скрытый текст

There are more expensive (and potentially powerful) anointments listed with the amulets in the CI and LL sections.

Anointments are listed in this order:
• Oils Needed
• Name of Notable
• Effects

• Clear, Clear, Clear
• Alacrity
• +30 Dexterity

• Clear, Clear, Sepia
• Beef
• +30 Strength

• Clear, Sepia, Teal
• Diamond Skin
• 24% inc. Armour, 3% inc. Movement Speed, +12% Ele Resistances

• Sepia, Amber, Verdant
• Path of the Savant
• +20 to Intelligence, +20 to maximum Mana, 16% inc. Spell Damage

• Amber, Teal, Teal
• Sanctuary
• +4% Chance to Block Attack & Spell Damage while holding a Shield, +12% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield

• Sepia, Teal, Azure
• Dreamer
• 20% inc. maximum Mana, 15% inc. Mana Regeneration Rate, 5% reduced Mana Cost of Skills

• Teal, Teal, Teal
• Mystic Bulwark
• 15% inc. max Mana, 6% Spell Block Chance, 1% inc. Mana Regen Rate per 1% Spell Block Chance

• Clear, Azure, Azure
• Prodigal Perfection
• 15% inc. max Mana, 10% inc. Spell Damage, 2% inc. Spell Damage per 100 Max Mana, up to 40%

Your budget gear can carry you into mid-tier maps even depending on your damage. Once you have some currency and maybe a few nicer gear pieces, you can begin to work toward end-game milestone 1: Chaos Inoculation!

3.7 - When (and How) to go Chaos Inoculation

Скрытый текст

What is Chaos Inoculation?

Скрытый текст
If you're new to PoE and unfamiliar with Chaos Inoculation (CI), here's the summary:

• CI locks your life total to 1.
• CI makes you immune to chaos damage.

This means that your health pool is 100% Energy Shield. Therefore, you need a LOT of it. In return, you never have to worry about any amount of chaos damage. Trust me, it's worth it.

CI adds multiple build aspects to consider that alter how you play the game. Health regen and (for our build) leech are no longer viable ways of refilling your life pool. Instead, your Energy Shield will begin to rapidly refill after not taking damage for a short time. Normally ES stops recharging as soon as you take damage, but the Wicked Ward notable allows your recharge to continue through damage as long as it began in the last 4 seconds.

As an important note, be aware that activating Vaal Discipline instantly restarts your ES recharge and is a great "panic" button.

When Do I Switch To Chaos Inoculation?

Скрытый текст
One of the most common questions I am asked about Vortex regards the switch from a hybrid Life/ES build to Chaos Inoculation. Nearly every time I'm asked, people say "What level should I be to switch to CI?" To be blunt, this is the exact wrong approach. I could be level 99, but if my gear doesn't have enough ES and resists, I will swap and get destroyed.

The better question is "How much Energy Shield do I need before switching to CI?". The answer varies a bit based in your previous experience, but here's a rough guideline:

• I'm new to PoE, or I have 0 CI experience: Try to reach 6,000 Energy Shield before committing.
• I have medium PoE experience, or this is my 2nd/3rd CI character: 5500-6000 before swapping.
• I'm an experienced PoE player and my daughter is named Shavronne: Swap as soon as you have 4k or more and can dodge projectiles/spells consistently

The most helpful thing you can do for your CI swap is not gathering mass amounts of ES. Instead, you need to learn to dodge avoidable damage. Practice serpentining as you approach enemies with projectiles. Learn to recognize ranged vs melee mobs at a glance. Flame Dash to the side and circle around tougher packs to avoid being shotgunned by their overlapping projectiles. The better you are at not taking damage, the earlier you can safely swap to CI.

Now that you’ve taken the Chaos Inoculation keystone, what do you do? You’re going to need some damage. This is the push and pull between the CI and Low-Life version of Vortex. CI builds can stack up huge amounts of Energy Shield, so their main holdup is in getting enough damage to feel good and kill efficiently. Low-Life builds have damage in spades, but their unique items leave them with a lower health pool, making defenses a larger concern.

Spell Damage vs Cold DoT Multi vs +1 Gems

Скрытый текст
It's very helpful to know the differences in damage between Spell Damage, Cold Damage over Time Multiplier, and +1 to Gem mods.

As a baseline for this comparison, I am using a previous Vortex PoB with mid-level CI gear, appropriate flasks, etc. When I equip a Prophecy wand with a 40% spell damage implicit and ZERO mods, I am at 380,600 DPS. We'll edit that wand with 1 mod a few times and compare the damage increases.

After modifying that same Prophecy wand, here are the new damage numbers:

• Base damage with no wand:      380,600 Vortex DoT DPS

• Max Spell Damage (109%):      450,700 DPS
• Max Cold DoT Multi (38%):       473,900
• +1 To All Spell Gems:               437,332
• +1 To All Cold Gems:                433,700

• Low T2 Spell Damage (86%):    435,900
• High T4 Cold DoT Multi (23%):  437,100

It's important to note that % increased cold damage is functionally identical to increased spell damage, and damage over time multiplier is functionally identical to cold damage over time multiplier.

As you can easily see from the numbers above, Cold Damage over Time multiplier is the best damage stat by a significant margin. I've also included the closest roll at which the damage numbers are the most similar between all stats, which means that until you get to 86% or higher spell damage, or 23% or higher Cold DoT Multi, +1 gems is best, as it has no roll range.

A Note For Newer Players

Скрытый текст
I want to take a few words and stress the importance of patience and using your time efficiently from this point forward through the end of the guide. If you're an experienced player, feel free to skip down to the actual gearing below.

Some of the items that will be shown and recommended here require a significant investment of either time, currency, and often both. I understand that if the most currency you've ever had is 40-50 Chaos, the prospect of spending multiple exalts just for a white item to further craft on is extremely daunting. Don't freak out.

There's nothing wrong with making minor upgrades to your early mapping gear and just mapping until you hit a wall in progression. However, if you want to take on all of the game's toughest content, you'll need to focus. Pick up a quad tab if you don't have one. Pre-roll multiple maps and then just bust through them, dumping everything into your quad tab each map. Once you've done your pre-rolled maps, roll a new set from the map drops and keep going. The more you play the game, the more currency you make. After your quad tab gets 80% full, make a plan to empty it into your regular tabs. Once you've built up a solid pool of currency such as Jeweller's Orbs, Chances, Fusings, etc, use a trade site to convert it to Chaos, and then Chaos > Exalts. You'll quickly begin to stack up currency, and you can start to plan for larger purchases. Once you have the required currency, move on to the section below.

End-Game CI Gearing

Скрытый текст
Some of the end-game gear choices have multiple options that include unique items. Vortex is beautiful because of its versatility, but that also means that I can't make every choice for you. Evaluate your needs and budget and form a plan.

Body Armour :

First Choice: Rare
No Alternate Choice

For end-game CI body armour, you want as much Energy Shield as you can possibly get. The concept is very simple: Go for T1 (or as high as possible) rolls for both flat ES and % ES. Resists are a nice bonus, but this is primarily your big item for a huge portion of your ES pool. If you can hit some nice ES rolls or buy a good piece, you can use the Unveiled Quality + Dexterity craft to the item for more ES and some much needed attributes as well. There is the occasional player using Skin of the Loyal as a chest, but that's a mistake.

Wand :

First Choice: Rare w/ Specific Suffix Craft
No Alternate Choice

Your wand exists for two purposes. First, you want as much damage as you can possibly get through a combination of spell damage, cold damage, damage over time, and +1 levels to spell or cold gems. See above for damage calculations based on mod type. Second, your wand needs to have the suffix craft "Trigger a Socketed Spell when you Use a Skill". As soon as you have this on your wand, allocate the Elemental Equilibrium Keystone and your damage will skyrocket. See section 3.1 for details on both unveiling the Trigger mod and Elemental Equilibrium.

Just to re-iterate: DO NOT use a wand with the mod "Adds # to # Cold Damage to Spells". This will ruin your EE and actually lower your damage.

Shield :

No Alternate Choice

Your end-game Shield has a huge amount of possibilities. It can be a massive source of Energy Shield, a big damage boost through implicits or mods, a mana reservation reducer, and more. You'll have to assess your goals and decide how you want your shield to end up.

Although some shield bases provide spell damage implicits, I firmly believe the optimal choice is a Titanium Spirit Shield for maximum Energy Shield.

Shaper-influenced Shields of ilvl 68 or higher can roll the mod "Recover (3-5)% of Energy Shield when you Block". This is an absurd mod, bordering on broken status. I believe this should be your number 1 choice for shield mods if you can get it; it's not a common roll, and buying them is not cheap.

Shaper shield can also roll the mod "socketed Gems have either 10 or 15% reduced Mana Reservation on ilvl 68 and 80 shield respectively. This is a great mod for reducing or eliminating your reliance on Enlighten, but make sure the appropriate auras are placed into the shield sockets.

Finally, shields can naturally roll "+1 to Level of all Cold Spell Skill Gems". This is a nice damage boost from a normally defensive item.

Beyond those mods, high ES is desirable, and resists are not unwelcome.

Helmet :

First Choice: Rime Gaze
Alternate Choice: Rare

CI and Low-Life are identical when it comes to the helmet slot. Rime Gaze is a fantastic helmet, it adds a TON of damage to a normally defensive slot, it has a large amount of Energy Shield, and it's incredibly common and cheap. Because of this, I can't recommend anything else as a first choice for a helmet. Socket your Cold Snap into it and you'll be set right to level 100.

If you're SSF and don't have access to a Rime Gaze, a rare with ES and resists is fine.

Shaper helmets can roll "Socketed gems are supported by level (16/18/20) Hypothermia", granting your Cold Snap a free 5th link. Additionally, Redeemer helmets can roll "Nearby enemies have -9% to Cold Resistance".

The thing about Rime Gaze is, these influenced mods are rare enough that rolling both of them together on a helmet could be very, very expensive, and still wouldn't give even half of the damage increase of Rime Gaze. If you're looking to absolutely maximize your Energy Shield pool, you can go this route, but otherwise be happy with the cheap best in slot unique.

Gloves :

No Alternate Choice

Gloves are pretty simple. The ideal base is an ilvl 80+ Shaper Fingerless Silk Glove. ilvl 80+ Shaper is more important than Fingerless silk base type if you have to make a choice between the two. For the most part, you're simple rolling for ES and resists/attributes on gloves. However, ilvl 80+ Shaper gloves can also roll a Cold DoT multi mod, and that's what you want more than anything. Fingerless Silks also give you spell damage if you can get them, but as with wands, Cold DoT multi beats spell damage in a head's up match. All in all, a simple gear piece.

Boots :

Alternate Choice: Sin Trek

Your first choice for boots should be a 30-35% Movement Speed pair with ES and resists. Again, this slot isn't super complicated.

There are a number of quality of life and speed mods that can be rolled on boots, but none of them are required. Redeemer influence has chance to gain both Onslaught on kill and Elusive on critical strike, Hunter has Tailwind if you've crit recently, and Delve crafting can hit a few nice but niche mods as well. If you can get any of these, awesome! If not, just get fast and get some defenses.

Sin Trek is a solid budget choice for boots, but they carry no resists.

Belt :

First Choice: Bated Breath

Bated Breath is similar to Rime Gaze. It's so good for such a cheap cost that I feel forced to recommend it. It has no resists, but its offensive and ES benefits are absolutely massive. It's another incredibly cheap unique that can push your ES significantly higher.

The best use of the belt slot would be a Shaper-influenced Crystal Belt. They can roll the mods "#% increased Energy Shield from Body Armour" and "#% increased Elemental Damage". Fossils can also roll mods like Cold Damage and increased flask effects.

Rings :

No Alternate Choice

Your ring slots may be your most important gear pieces. These little circles do a lot of heavy lifting. Your rings will carry the bulk of your resists, add damage, and maybe even boost your Energy Shield recharge.

The most important thing is to use your rings for as many resistances as possible. If you're able to get capped easily enough, you can grab an Opal Ring base for damage, or a Moonstone Ring base for more ES. Otherwise, get a resist base and fill the ring up with resists. You're looking for 4 basic things on a CI ring:

- Resists
- Energy Shield
- Attributes (high dex/str rolls)
- "Faster Start of Energy Shield Recharge" crafted mod.

Amulet :

No Alternate Choice

Amulets fill a couple of important rolls for CI. They should provide a large amount of needed attributes, as many resists as possible, and then help to boost damage.

Shaper amulets can roll a huge amount of great Vortex mods, including increased damage per Intelligence, Cold DoT multi, reduced mana reserved, and increased Movement Speed. Redeemer influence can also grant a couple of helpful mods. Hunter influence can grant Cold DoT Multi a well as +1 to Intelligence skill Gems.

Mid-Level Anointments

Скрытый текст

There are cheaper and more expensive anointments listed with the amulets in the Early Mapping and LL sections respectively (3.6 and 3.8).

• Oils Needed
• Name of Notable
• Effects

• Sepia, Amber, Crimson
• Entropy
• 23% inc. Damage over Time, 10% inc. Skill Effect Duration

• Verdant, Azure, Crimson
• Flash Freeze
• 24% inc. Cold Damage, 20% inc. Projectile Speed (Unused), 20% inc. Chill Effect, 10% Freeze Chance

• Sepia, Crimson, Crimson
• Ash, Frost, & Storm
• 30% inc. Ele Damage, 20% inc. Effect of Non-Damaging Ailments & 20% reduced Effect of them on you, 10% chance to Freeze, Shock & Ignite

• Sepia, Teal, Black
• Divine Judgment
• 50% inc. Elemental Damage

• Sepia, Violet, Black
• Mental Rapidity
• 10% inc. Cast Speed, 20% inc. Mana Regen, 10% inc. ES Recharge Rate

• Sepia, Sepia, Opalescent
• Potency of Will
• 25% inc. Skill Effect Duration

• Sepia, Teal, Opalescent
• Deflection
• +4% Chance to Block Attacks w/ Shield, +4% Chance to Block Spells w/ Shield, 40% inc. Defences from Shield, +8% Chance to Block Projectiles Attacks

• Amber, Azure, Opalescent
• Amplify
• 10% inc. AoE, 20% inc. Area Damage

• Clear, Black, Black
• Lethal Assault
• 18% inc. Damage, 10% inc. Projectile Speed, 10% inc. Area of Effect

• Amber, Crimson, Opalescent
• Command of Steel
• +3% Chance to Block Attacks w/ Shield, 1% inc. Damage per 1% Chance to Block Attacks

• Violet, Crimson, Opalescent
• Disciple of the Unyielding
• +1 to Minimum Endurance Charges, 8% chance to gain End. Charge on Kill, 8% inc. Damage per End. Charge

Glancing Blows

Work down the left side of the tree to the jewel socket for Thread of Hope. The sooner you're on the Glancing Blows plan, especially if you have a #ES recovery shield, the faster you'll become near-immortal.

3.8 - The Ultimate End-Game: Low-Life Vortex

Скрытый текст
What is Low-Life?

Скрытый текст
If you're new to PoE and unfamiliar with Low-Life builds (LL), here's the summary:

• Low-Life builds take the Pain Attunement keystone, which grants 30% more spell damage when on "Low-Life".
• A character is on Low-life when their life falls below 35% of its maximum value.
• Typically, Low-life is achieved with 100% uptime by using Blood Magic or other means to reserve at least 65% of a character's life pool, granting permanent uptime on the 30% more damage bonus.
• Low-Life builds must have a solution for Chaos damage, as reserving most of your life and then being hit by Chaos damage would kill you nearly immediately.

As discussed in the next section, for Vortex this is achieved by using Shavronne's Wrappings, Prism Guardian or a shield socketed with the Blood Magic support gem, and various other mechanics. Prism Guardian / Blood Magic allows you to achieve Low-Life while giving yourself some nice aura(s), and Shavronne's Wrappings prevents chaos damage from bypassing ES, meaning that you still take chaos damage as normal, but it drains straight from your much larger ES pool.

When Do I Switch To Low-Life?

Скрытый текст
Technically, you can switch to Low-Life Vortex as soon as you have Shavronne's Wrappings, a Blood Magic reservation setup, and Pain Attunement allocated. However, Low-Life can't reach the ES levels of CI Vortex because Shavronne's Wrappings caps at 1/3 to 1/2 of the ES of a CI body armour, and other uniques such as Prism Guardian will also lower your achievable ES total. This makes dodging and learning attack/spell/boss patterns even more important. If you have trouble surviving as CI, imagine having 2/3 of your ES pool and also taking full chaos damage.

If you're newer to Vortex or PoE, I highly recommend taking your time with the Low-Life swap.

I'll quote from the CI swapping section in 3.7: "The most helpful thing you can do for your [Low-Life] swap is not gathering mass amounts of ES. Instead, you need to learn to dodge avoidable damage. Practice serpentining as you approach enemies with projectiles. Learn to recognize ranged vs melee mobs at a glance. Flame Dash to the side and circle around tougher packs to avoid being shotgunned by their overlapping projectiles. The better you are at not taking damage, the earlier you can safely swap to [Low-Life]."

There's very little to lose from staying CI a bit longer, getting more ES on your non body armour or shield slots, and swapping comfortably, and a lot to lose by swapping to early and dying constantly, halting your progress. If you're more experienced, lace up your Wrappings and get to work.

End-Game Low-Life Gearing

Скрытый текст
Because of the required uniques, Low-Life gear is a bit less flexible than the choices for CI. However, I will include options of things you can go for if you're swimming in currency, such as top-tier corruptions, etc. Be aware that the absolute top-end of Vortex is ludicrously OP, but prohibitively expensive. You can buy a 6-linked Shavs for between 5-10ex typically. The last picture I saw of a 6-linked Shav purchase with a double corruption of +2 Duration and +2 AoE gems went for nearly 2 MIRRORS. The build is almost infinitely upgradeable, so I'll try to present a few different options for consideration.

Body Armour :

First Choice: Shavronne's Wrappings
No Alternate Choice

Shav's Wraps are the item that lets us play as Low-Life. Without Shavs, nearly any hit of Chaos damage would instantly kill us. It has decent ES and even has good lightning res, and is the most iconic piece of the Low-Life build.

A double + gem level corruption is one of the most insane items you could purchase, and by itself can raise Vortex as high as lvl 25 if you had a 21 Vortex. However, a basic 6-linked Shavs will suffice perfectly.

Wand :

No Alternate Choice

Reposting from 3.7 CI wand: "Your wand exists for two purposes. First, you want as much damage as you can possibly get through a combination of spell damage, cold damage, damage over time, and +1 levels to spell or cold gems. See above for damage calculations based on mod type. Second, your wand needs to have the suffix craft "Trigger a Socketed Spell when you Use a Skill". As soon as you have this on your wand, allocate the Elemental Equilibrium Keystone and your damage will skyrocket. See section 3.1 for details on both unveiling the Trigger mod and Elemental Equilibrium.

Just to re-iterate: DO NOT use a wand with the mod "Adds # to # Cold Damage to Spells". This will ruin your EE and actually lower your damage."

Shield :

First Choice: Prism Guardian

Prism Guardian is the base choice here, as it gives us the highest damage by allowing us to socket 3 auras that the item automatically supports with a reduced mana reservation Blood Magic. It turns on our Low-Life status while granting a truckload of DPS. Again, corruptions for gem levels are incredibly powerful but very expensive.

Alternatively, this part from 3.7 CI shields is true: "Shaper-influenced Shields of ilvl 68 or higher can roll the mod "Recover (3-5)% of Energy Shield when you Block". This is an absurd mod, bordering on broken status... it's not a common roll, and buying them is not cheap... Finally, shields can naturally roll "+1 to Level of all Cold Spell Skill Gems". This is a nice damage boost from a normally defensive item."

If you want more defenses out of your shield, get a rare with ES recovery on block and a +1 to gems mod with a lot of ES. You'll only be able to fit a Blood Magic aura or two (usually Clarity for the second), but your defenses will be significantly increased.

Helmet :

First Choice: Rime Gaze

This gear slot is exactly the same as for CI, so I'll just quote from 3.7: "CI and Low-Life are identical when it comes to the helmet slot. Rime Gaze is a fantastic helmet, it adds a TON of damage to a normally defensive slot, it has a large amount of Energy Shield, and it's incredibly common and cheap. Because of this, I can't recommend anything else as a first choice for a helmet. Socket your Cold Snap into it and you'll be set right to level 100.

If you're SSF and don't have access to a Rime Gaze, a rare with ES and resists is fine.

Shaper helmets can roll "Socketed gems are supported by level (16/18/20) Hypothermia", granting your Cold Snap a free 5th link. Additionally, Redeemer helmets can roll "Nearby enemies have -9% to Cold Resistance".

The thing about Rime Gaze is, these influenced mods are rare enough that rolling both of them together on a helmet could be very, very expensive, and still wouldn't give even half of the damage increase of Rime Gaze. If you're looking to absolutely maximize your Energy Shield pool, you can go this route, but otherwise be happy with the cheap best in slot unique"

Gloves :

No Alternate Choice

Like the Helmet before it and the boots ahead of it, the Gloves are a source of ES, damage, and resists are are interchangeable between CI and LL. From section 3.7: "Gloves are pretty simple. The ideal base is an ilvl 80+ Shaper Fingerless Silk Glove. ilvl 80+ Shaper is more important than Fingerless silk base type if you have to make a choice between the two. For the most part, you're simple rolling for ES and resists/attributes on gloves. However, ilvl 80+ Shaper gloves can also roll a Cold DoT multi mod, and that's what you want more than anything. Fingerless Silks also give you spell damage if you can get them, but as with wands, Cold DoT multi beats spell damage in a head's up match. All in all, a simple gear piece."

Boots :

Alternate Choice: Sin Trek

Same as CI. From 3.7: "Your first choice for boots should be a 30-35% Movement Speed pair with ES and resists. Again, this slot isn't super complicated.

There are a number of quality of life and speed mods that can be rolled on boots, but none of them are remotely required. Elder boots can give Fortify on hit to your Flame Dash and chance to gain Endurance Charges on hit, Redeemer has chance to gain both Onslaught on kill and Elusive on critical strike, Hunter has Tailwind if you've crit recently, and Delve crafting can hit a few nice but niche mods as well. If you can get any of these, awesome! If not, just get fast and get some defenses.

Sin Trek is a solid budget choice for boots, but they carry no resists."

Belt :

Alternate Choice: Bated Breath

The belt for LL is interesting, because the recommendation is basically the reverse of CI. While Bated Breath is excellent for its cost, you can get so much out of a Shaper Crystal Belt. From 3.7: "They can roll the mods "#% increased Energy Shield from Body Armour" and "#% increased Elemental Damage". Fossils can also roll mods like Cold Damage and increased flask effects." You can get Cooldown Recovery Speed, Spell Damage during flask effect, etc etc. Shaper Crystals are insanely good, and can be combined with another influence types for some nutty belts. This is a slot I hope to have more detailed crafting info on soon.

Rings :

First Choice: Mark of the Shaper + Elder Rare
Alternate Choice: Rares

Mark of the Shaper is stupid. It has tons of damage, life that your Amulet can convert to ES, % ES on top of that, and a damage inplicit to boot. On the pairing Elder Ring, you just want what you'd be looking for on other rings (in 3.7 and quoted below), but with a greater emphasis on fixing resists and attributes, as the Mark of the Shaper ties up your other slot.

Alternatively, get rings as you would for CI. From section 3.7: "The most important thing is to use your rings for as many resistances as possible. If you're able to get capped easily enough, you can grab an Opal Ring base for damage, or a Moonstone Ring base for more ES. Otherwise, get a resist base and fill the ring up with resists. You're looking for 4 basic things on a CI ring:

- Resists
- Energy Shield
- Attributes (high dex/str rolls)
- "Faster Start of Energy Shield Recharge" crafted mod."

Amulet :

First Choice: Presence of Chayula
Alternate Choice: Rare + Alternate Stun Immunity

Presence of Chayula is a crazy strong unique. Bringing Chaos res to 0% is significantly stronger than it looks if you're newer to PoE. "Cannot be stunned" is a game-changer that by itself allows us to respec an entire 2 ascendancy nodes from Vile Bastion to Malediction and get an additional curse. As if that weren't enough, it gives us a large amount of ES by converting a % of our life to our ES total.

A couple of things to maximize your amulet slot: First, I highly recommend Tranquility as an anointment. It gives you a ton of damage and is a large part of why some players run Crown of the Inward Eye as a helmet. Additionally, using Tempering or Fertile Catalysts on PoC can bring the life>ES conversion up from 20% to 24%, granting even more ES. This slot gives an insane amount of help to the build.

Alternatively, you have the option to make an insane amulet, specifically in the current Harvest league. Check out this Reddit thread for details. Note that this removes your stun immunity, meaning you will either need to keep Vile Bastion and get your second curse elsewhere, or find stun immunity in another form.

High-Level Anointments

Скрытый текст

There are budget and mid-level anointments listed with the amulets in the Early Mapping and CI sections respectively (3.6 and 3.7).

• Oils Needed
• Name of Notable
• Effects

• Clear, Teal, Golden
• Growth & Decay
• 20% inc. Damage over Time, Regen 1% of Life /second, +10% to DoT Multiplier

• Amber, Indigo, Golden
• No Witnesses
• 10% chance to gain Elusive on Kill, 25% increased Elusive Effect

• Clear, Opalescent, Silver
• Overcharged
• 8% chance to gain a Power, Frenzy, or Endurance Charge on Kill

• Amber, Opalescent, Silver
• Mystic Talents
• +30 Int, 16% inc. Spell Damage, 25% inc. Mana Regen Rate, +14 max Energy Shield

• Azure, Golden, Golden
• Tranquility
• 5% inc. max ES, Transfiguration of Soul (Increases & Reductions to Max ES also apply to Spell Damage at 30% of their value)
Последняя редакция: ShakCentral. Время: 5 авг. 2020 г., 10:46:33
NOTE: Part 4 hasn't been updated for 2 leagues, and the index in part 5 is from Tornado Shot For Dummies. I'm trying to update them, but actual guide updates have higher priority

Part 4: The Part of Tens

Скрытый текст

4.1 Ten Cheap Uniques That Can Substitute For Expensive Gear

Скрытый текст
1. Bated Breath

Bated Breath is a fantastic belt that can be used absurdly early. You can kill the Vaal Oversoul with it, never remove it, and still be using it when you hit 1k Delve depth. Ridiculous item to be honest.

2. Rime Gaze

Rime Gaze is a nice home for your Cold Snap. It grants it a 4th support gem, gives damage to all of your Cold DoT damage, has good energy shield, all with the downside of reduced recharge rate. Note that this isnt always bad - with recharge rate being uninterruptible if it began recently, this often means you get a full 4 seconds of huge ES regen, greatly smoothing out incoming damage.

3. Sin Trek

Sin Trek is another item that can be used right to level 100 with no issues. 30% MS, a very solid amount of ES, and some attributes mean that if yo ucan offset the lack of resists, you have a very nice pair of boots at a tiny cost.

4. Timetwist

Timetwist is great if you're resist capped. ES, Cast Speed, Mana Regen, and Skill Effect duration are all welcome. Temp Chains immunity means we can be more liberal with what maps we run and provides some great quality of life.

5. Voidbringer

Voidbringer is another nice home for your Cold Snap, giving +1 level to gems. It has decent ES, and although it raises our mana cost of skills, the ES on kill effect is just ridiculous. This item can carry you through early maps before you're super tanky on the ES gain alone.

6. Doedre's Scorn

Obviously, this is where you socket your curse(s). That's really it. That's the whole gimmick. Very nice helmet.

7. Rainbowstride

Rainbow Stride is another great pair of boots. While I wouldn't consider taking this to endgame, the spell block is SUPER nice, resist are rarer and more welcoem on uniques, and the MS is decent for early mapping.

8. Dream Fragments

If you're having issues with mana and don't have a current course of reliable freeze/chill immunity, Dream Fragments works wonders.

9. Rathpith Globe

Rathpith is a little weird, as you need some life regen to make this item work. It has a decent chunk of ES, spell block, and decent spell damage. Don't kill yourself.

10. The Beast

The Beast is one of my favorite items. I have no idea why it's so cheap. 400+ ES is nothing to scoff at, 40% spell damage is big, AoE and ES Recharge rate are awesome, and the downside is easy to work around in a build with this much chill and defenses. Use it proudly.

4.2 Ten TV Shows to Watch While Farming Bosses

Скрытый текст
The Undisputed: The Office. Not even going to explain why. Just watch it, then watch it again, then never stop.

Hulu Comedy: Brooklyn 99. Excellently written and consistently laugh-out-loud funny.

Zombie Show: Z Nation. YES, it's absurdly corny and meandering. But it's great because it doesn't take itself too seriously and is phenomenal as background mapping material.

Food Show: Chef's Table. Much of the story of the dishes shown on the show is an audio and visual companionship, which leaves a lot of enjoyable content to listen to as you farm.

Docu-series: Our Planet. Documentaries on Earth that are beautiful, relaxing, and informative.

True Crime Adaptation: Mindhunter. Mostly told through dialogue and extraordinarily binge-y. Be aware of the massive amount of potentially traumatic material related to the retelling of sexual crimes.

Easy listening: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Jerry Seinfeld has coffee and talks with other comedians. It's really that simple. One of my favorite things to listen to while running endless Shaped Arcades as they delve into what truly makes things "funny".

Absolutely Terrible Guilty Pleasure: Supernatural. Best soap opera of all time. Fight me.

Hulu Drama Classic: Lost. 4 8 15 16 23 42. You know it, and you either love it or hate it. I love it.

Best YouTube Show: Hot Ones. The best interviewer on the planet sits down with celebrities and interviews them while both parties chow down on increasingly hot wings. It's great to watch people's personas fade as they lose feeling in their face, and it's consistently hilarious.

4.3 Ten Builds To Play If You Need A Break From Vortex

Скрытый текст

I Need Insane Speed: Tornado Shot

I Need A Break From DoTs: (Any Skill) Mines Saboteur

I Need A Break From Cold Damage: Righteous Fire Juggernaut

I Need A Break From Killing Monsters Myself: Mass Minion Support Necromancer

I Need A Break From Clicking: Cyclone Slayer

I Need A Break From Broken Mechanics: Arc Elementalist

I Need A Break From Expensive Builds: Orb of Storms Assassin

I Need A Break From Spells: Physical Reave/Bflurry Berserker

I Need A Break From Playing Witch: Scourge Arrow Scion

I Need A Break From Path of Exile: MTG Arena

Part 5: FAQ, Index, And Changelog IN PROGRESS

Скрытый текст

5.1 Frequently Asked Questions

Скрытый текст

5.2 Index

Скрытый текст
THIS SECTION IS NOT VORTEX. Still Tornado Shot's Index

*Currently Indexed Through 3.3

A
⚫Additional Projectiles - 1.1, 3.5, 3.8
⚫Area of Effect (AoE) - 1.1, 1.2, 3.3, 3.5

B
⚫Bosses - 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 3.7, 4.3

C
⚫Claws - 1.4, 3.4
⚫Clearspeed - 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 3.2, 3.7, 3.8
⚫Currency - Intro, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 3.7, 3.8

D
⚫DeMiGodking102 - Foreward, 3.10
⚫Dexterity - 1.2, 3.1, 3.8, 3.9

E
⚫End-Game (broad) - 1.2, 1.4, 2.4, 3.3, 3.8, 4.3
⚫Evasion - 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 4.1

F
⚫Farming - 1.3, 2.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.8, 4.1, 4.2
⚫Flasks - 3.2, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9
⚫Flat Added Damage - 1.1, 3.4, 3.7, 3.10, 4.1

G
⚫Gem(s) - 1.1, 1.4, 2.4, 2.5, 3.1
⚫Grimro - Foreward, 3.9

H

I
⚫Impale - Foreward, 1.1, 1.4

J
⚫Jewels - 1.4, 2.5, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 4.1

K

L
⚫League(s) - Intro, Foreward, 1.1, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 3.6, 3.8, 3.10, 4.1
⚫Leveling - Intro, Foreward, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 3.1, 3.5, 3.6, 3.9
⚫Life - 1.2, 1.4, 2.4, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.10, 4.1
⚫Links - 1.1, 1.4, 2.4, 2.5, 3.8, 3.9

M
⚫Magic Find - Foreward, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 3.8, 3.10
⚫Map(s) - Intro, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.5, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 4.2
⚫Mechanics - 1.1
⚫Melee - 1.2, 3.4
⚫Movement Speed - Foreward, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9

N

O
⚫Unique(s) - 1.2, 1.4, 2.1, 2.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.6, 3.7, 3.9, 4.1

P
⚫Path of Building - 1.4
⚫Pierce - 1.1

Q
⚫Quantity - 1.4, 3.10
⚫Queen of the Forest - 1.2, 3.8, 3.9

R
⚫Range/Ranged - Foreward, 1.1, 1.2
⚫Rare (items) - 1.2, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9
⚫Resistances - 1.2, 2.5, 3.2, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.10, 4.1

S
⚫Shaper Items - 1.4, 3.8
⚫Single Target - 1.1, 1.2
⚫Spell(s) - 1.2

T
⚫Tornado Shot - Literally everywhere. Why the hell are you looking this up?

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

5.3 Changelog

Скрытый текст
⚫ 10/2/19 - Added 25+ terms to the index and updated the note at the beginning of the guide.
⚫ 9/26/19 - Updated PoBs to reflect a more realistic lvl 90 Tree by default. Continued work on index.
⚫ 9/24/19 - Nearly done with Part 3. Updated Post Title. HUGE CHANGE: Added numbering system for sections within each part. Will make indexing and referencing much easier.
⚫ 9/23/19 - Totally forgot to update this as I've continued work on the guide. 3.5 of the 5 sections are complete. The Index will need to be created, and I still have to finish jewels, end-game gearing, purchase order, and a few other items. Getting close!
⚫ 9/10/19 - Table of Contents structure placed into body of guide. Spoilers and colors modified and put in place.
⚫ 9/9/19 - Forum post created. Marked as Work In Progress. For Dummies intro, dedication, and Table of Contents sections put in place.
Последняя редакция: ShakCentral. Время: 10 июля 2020 г., 16:26:11
Accidental reservation. After a long day of edits I somehow quoted my entire guide and made a new comment. Very stable genius here.
Последняя редакция: ShakCentral. Время: 3 янв. 2020 г., 15:41:20
Still very legal and very cool :)

Thanks for this, I just found my next league starter I think.
"
LabRat001 написал:
Still very legal and very cool :)

Thanks for this, I just found my next league starter I think.

I've played PoE for something like 10 league launches, and starting Vortex is by far my favorite. It's absurdly cheap on day 1, but then you somehow find yourself easily downing Uber Elder like 4 days later..
Последняя редакция: ShakCentral. Время: 3 янв. 2020 г., 15:42:21
Looks like a descent build. Can you use HoI to boost clear speed?
any tip for crafting wands?
used tons of fossils and alters but nerver happened to get cold damage over time multiplier + +1 cold skill gem or spell damage.
Playing this build as a CI until I reach lvl 83 and can transition to low-life as a T16 farmer. Should I be using normal Cold Snap or Vaal Cold Snap? Can't find any playstyle mechanics info with regards to how you play the build. I also don't find myself ever using Tempest Shield, can I swap that out for a Portal gem instead?
Hey,

thanks for redoing it, looking forward to the finished version! :)

I propose you put in paragraph about how EE stops to work if you have added cold damage on the gear, i think (not entirely sure!) your old guide was missing this.
Personally i didnt know that for the longest time and was always wondering why EE seemed to make things harder, and enemies were always listed with the cold resistance...

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация