Storm Call should make shocking ground (because graphically it looks too sci-fi)

My first impression of Storm Call was that it had a Sci-Fi look.
I don't have a problem with that though, since I've noted that with certain skills in the past and think that the world of Wraeclast is more advanced than the standard high fantasy setting.
How advanced I don't quite know.

I've thought for long that Lightning Warp looks like the character is beaming up and beaming down. The "thinning" part of Lightning Warp looks especially Scifi'ish.

There are a lot of other stuff, but my theories aren't very serious and I don't think it's important enough to go into.
Looking forward to find out more about Wraeclast and I won't be disappointed if it turns out that you don't Beam up to the Lunaris Spaceship when you use Lightning Warp.
"
dudiobugtron написал:
"
lethal_papercut написал:
Science Fiction:

Science Fiction according to Scrotie:

LMAO! I genuinely thought the second photo was a screenshot from StarCraft II, and I was trying to work out which unit made that effect. Then I realised what it was actually a picture of.

Thanks lethal_papercut, you have convinced me of Scrotie's point better than he ever could have.
I declare victory.

Make it so, Number One.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Последняя редакция: ScrotieMcB. Время: 25 нояб. 2013 г., 22:33:28
"
ScrotieMcB написал:
"
Russell написал:
I dont really see the sci fi part about it. It has a rune circle kind of like a target out of a sci fi game. If you have a better suggestion do tell.. Or even better show. From what iv seen from feedback people are loving the look?
Regarding Piety's fire/ice "rune circles," the main problem I have with them is that the fire "rune circle" doesn't look like it's made of fire, it looks like it's made of red; the ice "rune circle" doesn't look like it's made of cold, it looks like it's made of blue.

Really, it's the same deal with Storm Call's "rune circles:" they don't look like they're made of electricity, they look like they're made of blue.

This is the core of my criticism: being an elementalist means summoning the elements, not summoning colours, nor summoning neon lights. It makes it feel like the path to arcane mastery is a set of acrylic paints and a paint-by-number book.

The difference between the two situations is that Piety's "rune circles" are supposed to be destroyable objects; from what I can tell, Storm Call's are invulnerable. Thus, using shocked ground makes perfect sense with Storm Call. Shocked ground is clearly made of electricity, and its invulnerable; this is something which is aesthetical woven into the very look of shocked ground. If possible, shocked ground should be used directly for the skill, since it already does a great job with the correct appearance; if not, then some kind of marker which somehow matches the aesthetics of shocked ground, while being distinct enough for players to know that it isn't shocked ground.

That does sound like it would look better, though I don't have any issue with the way it looked in the video either.

TBH, I don't think Sci Fi stuff is supposed to look like it's made of blue or made of red either. IMO, the visual difference between fantasy and Sci Fi is more about portrayal of machinery and technology, not differences in particle effects. The criticism that it just looks like an uninspired disc of color I can get behind, but that uninspired discs of color belong in Sci Fi more than fantasy seems unrelatable.

Finally, I'd say the art team has demonstrated the greatest improvement across all departments of GGG. Looking at the progression from Act 1 to 3, the art is noticeably improved at each stage in the progression (particularly Act 3). I feel least strongly about calling them out, unless it is to praise their improvement. Good job, GGG artists!
Shocking/Burning/Chilling ground could be support gems ...
▄█▀█▀█
A cool visual effect would be to have it send down small 'tracer' bolts when you cast it, followed up by the main bolt later on. The tracer bolts could remain light an after-image until the main bolt arrived.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron написал:
A cool visual effect would be to have it send down small 'tracer' bolts when you cast it, followed up by the main bolt later on. The tracer bolts could remain light an after-image until the main bolt arrived.

Exept with builds iv seen our QA guys make there would be 20 of these tracer bolts going off all the time all over your screen. Then followed by a second bolt that does damage. It would be rather confusing and messy. I tried a few things but the little rune circle type thing ended up being the most visible yet least distracting. Its kind of more like a UI element to show where the skills going to land. Rather than a thing that looks like it would damage or shock things.

Still though. I thought it looked good. So did most others that saw it at the office.

If I can get shown something that would be simple to change and look better then I can change it. However it cant look like it deals any in world damage and cant be too distracting or too invisible.

Many other fantasy games do the same thing. Its confusing when something looks like it deal damage then doesn't. Feels tacky and flimsy.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
"
Russell написал:
Still though. I thought it looked good. So did most others that saw it at the office.

For my part at least I fully agree. It looks good. Very good even, nicely smooth and slick.

The question that pops up with me though is, should magic in Wraeclast look good, smooth and slick?

But to give you an example, from PoE even, of what I think more appropriate for Wraeclast is this:

The summon effect there I really like. It's not symmetrical. There's no clear writing, there's something that could possibly be writing but not really sure about it. And if it is, it's certainly not something that should be read by mortal eyes.

It's got the feeling that whatever power is behind that magic it's certainly not divine.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
Последняя редакция: Gobla. Время: 26 нояб. 2013 г., 9:26:06
"
Gobla написал:
"
Russell написал:

For my part at least I fully agree. It looks good. Very good even, nicely smooth and slick.

The question that pops up with me though is, should magic in Wraeclast look good, smooth and slick?

But to give you an example, from PoE even, of what I think more appropriate for Wraeclast is this:

The summon effect there I really like. It's not symmetrical. There's no clear writing, there's something that could possibly be writing but not really sure about it. And if it is, it's certainly not something that should be read by mortal eyes.

It's got the feeling that whatever power is behind that magic it's certainly not divine.

...or, it could simply be a pool of blood with a zombie rising up from it.
no need to get all philosophical about a skill effect.

simple is good.
that's why I love the new "INCOMING!" blue circle of Storm Call, though I really would like it to create shocking ground on impact. maybe at high gem levels?
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация