Are mods being overly strict now?

I recently called someone out on the PoE subreddit over this very thing.

I think the issue at hand is how it is generally (and only generally) accepted in the gamer culture to use the word retarded as a pejorative with no particular malice attached. When gamers use it, they are not really expressing resentment towards the handicapped.

That said, it shows how detached many gamers are from the world at large, and any community that allows such comments does so to the detriment of it's audience. You really can express yourself without meaningless hyperbole and calling people stupid or retarded because they do things that you don't understand. By communicating in such a way, you truly are signalling to everyone who has to function in the real world that you have nothing to say worth reading.

I really think the mods could be a little more strict with this community, but it isn't so much the use of words like retard that need to change in order to make this community a place intelligent beings can tolerate. It's the attitudes of the children here that really ruin the experience for the adults.

So many of the most frequent posters on this forum, even when they aren't misusing the term "retard," speak with such a petulant, caustic tone that they do much to lower the level of discourse in what should be a helpful place to exchange information. It's more of an issue because PoE is not an easy game to master. Participation in a forum with a toxic culture is mandatory to succeed, and that will unfortunately make anyone mature enough to recognize the consistently present attitudes unwilling to continue playing the game. Thus, strict moderation of the forums, particularly the attitudes, is important for the long term success of the game.

OP, you're quite a part of the problem here. Go ahead and defend your posts if you want to, but you would be better off seeing what people are talking about than trying to argue your way around it.
I see it like this.

GGG has made a game for anyone to play. Made a forum for anyone to discuss nearly anything they wish. There are very few rules here, but it IS GGGs forum.

They obviously don't like the use of the R word. So instead of people needing to be rebellious about it, they should just be respectful to GGGs wishes and just find a different expression to take the R word's spot.

They really ask very little of anyone here considering the very cool things they've done for us.

Come on.
"
Xavderion написал:
"
iamstryker написал:
"
Bukariin написал:
I mean, do you not understand "retarded" being a little off-color?

Or are you defending the use of the word as being completely non-offensive?

I don't think it should be looked at any worse than if I had said "That would be stupid".

Isn't this forum for adults?

Adults shouldn't be calling things retarded imo.

Why not? It's an accurate and descriptive adjective. Also, adults generally aren't so sensitive where they cry over usage of a word rather than the context. It's quite astounding the level of censorship people are not only willing to accept but wish to be forced upon themselves. Generally, adults like to have some agency rather than be policed by an autocratic entity outlining acceptable trains of thought and/or actions.
"

OP, you're quite a part of the problem here. Go ahead and defend your posts if you want to, but you would be better off seeing what people are talking about than trying to argue your way around it.

I see what people are talking about here. I just don't agree. Does it bother you that much that I don't agree?

"
You really can express yourself without meaningless hyperbole and calling people stupid or retarded because they do things that you don't understand. .

Its important to this thread to recognize that I wasn't using the word like that. There was no hyperbole or reference to another player specifically.
Standard Forever
Последняя редакция: iamstryker. Время: 23 янв. 2014 г., 21:30:46
I've had my posts deleted several times without any questionable words being used. I rarely comment unless it's to offer a suggestion or speak my mind. The mods are very much overly strict but then nothing has really come of it so I don't know what to tell you. Does it really hurt anything having it deleted?
I've had posts deleted for use of the word "sandwich".
Many lewt.
Much desync.
Such rewarding.
Wow.
According to forum mods "sandwich" is considered an offensive word. Who knew?
"
iamstryker написал:
"
Bukariin написал:
I mean, do you not understand "retarded" being a little off-color?

Or are you defending the use of the word as being completely non-offensive?

I don't think it should be looked at any worse than if I had said "That would be stupid".

Isn't this forum for adults?

You are right, both cases are equally bad. Why are you belittling the arguments of other people through insults? That belittling can be considered a hateful act and would thus be against the rules.

Скрытый текст
I hope more and more of you people get annoyed and start understanding why true freedom of speech is so beautiful. If someone else says something you disagree with, you have the right to simply ignore the person or counter their statements.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Great, political correctness is infecting another one of my favorite things now.

Not even gonna try and open up this can of worms, but really, its just a word. Over the internet. By some random prick, who probably is trying to get a rise outta you in the first place (and by the looks of all these replies, they'd probably succeed)

If its honestly that big of a deal, maybe its time to grow a little more skin.

/braces for impact

Screw Lowes, or even Home Depot, go to Charan. He knows all about being a slight-slack-in-jaw rusted tool.
"
iamstryker написал:
"

I see what people are talking about here. I just don't agree. Does it bother you that much that I don't agree?

"
You really can express yourself without meaningless hyperbole and calling people stupid or retarded because they do things that you don't understand. .

Its important to this thread to recognize that I wasn't using the word like that. There was no hyperbole or reference to another player specifically.

No, I will not be indulging your desire to go back and forth while you contort logic in a way that justifies your attitude. If you want to continue to disagree, go right ahead, but it's been stated clearly enough by more than just me, that you would already understand if you had any desire to do so.

You are free to remain confused and uncertain about how civil discussion actually works, but you cannot say that no one has tried to explain it to you.
Последняя редакция: Crocodarrel. Время: 23 янв. 2014 г., 21:46:58
"
smokingdeck08 написал:
Great, political correctness is infecting another one of my favorite things now.

What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?

Пожаловаться на запись форума

Пожаловаться на учетную запись:

Тип жалобы

Дополнительная информация